As a member of the TORCH complex, cytomegalovirus can cause congenital infection. Because of this, there has been considerable effort made towards the development of a vaccine, with particular emphasis on protection for pregnant women. (Cytomegalovirus also has a major impact upon individuals with acquired or induced immune deficiency, but because vaccination of the immunocompromised introduces additional challenges, members of this population are less likely to be candidates for such a vaccine.)
recDB has been suggested as a target.
A phase 2 study of a CMV-vaccine published in 2009 indicated an efficacy of 50%, - thus the protection provided was limited and a number of subjects contracted CMV infection despite the vaccination. In one case also congenital CMV was encountered.
- Zhong J, Khanna R (June 2007). "Vaccine strategies against human cytomegalovirus infection". Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 5 (3): 449–59. doi:10.1586/1478722.214.171.1249. PMID 17547509.
- Zhong J, Rist M, Cooper L, Smith C, Khanna R (2008). "Induction of pluripotent protective immunity following immunisation with a chimeric vaccine against human cytomegalovirus". PLoS ONE 3 (9): e3256. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0003256. PMC 2533118. PMID 18806877.
- Schleiss MR (March 2008). "Comparison of vaccine strategies against congenital CMV infection in the guinea pig model". J. Clin. Virol. 41 (3): 224–30. doi:10.1016/j.jcv.2007.10.008. PMID 18060834.
- Schleiss MR, Heineman TC (June 2005). "Progress toward an elusive goal: current status of cytomegalovirus vaccines". Expert Rev Vaccines 4 (3): 381–406. doi:10.1586/147605126.96.36.1991. PMID 16026251.
- Khanna R, Diamond DJ (January 2006). "Human cytomegalovirus vaccine: time to look for alternative options". Trends Mol Med 12 (1): 26–33. doi:10.1016/j.molmed.2005.11.006. PMID 16337831.
- Arvin AM, Fast P, Myers M, Plotkin S, Rabinovich R (July 2004). "Vaccine development to prevent cytomegalovirus disease: report from the National Vaccine Advisory Committee". Clin. Infect. Dis. 39 (2): 233–9. doi:10.1086/421999. PMID 15307033.
- Mersseman V, Böhm V, Holtappels R, et al. (June 2008). "Refinement of strategies for the development of a human cytomegalovirus dense body vaccine". Med. Microbiol. Immunol. 197 (2): 97–107. doi:10.1007/s00430-008-0085-2. PMID 18320219.
- Pass RF, Zhang C, Evans A, et al (2009). "Vaccine prevention of maternal cytomegalovirus infection". N Engl J Med 360 (12): 1191–9. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa0804749. PMC 2753425. PMID 19297572.