Czech Republic–Mongolia relations
Czech Republic–Mongolia relations continue the diplomatic relations between Mongolia and Czechoslovakia, which were established on 25 April 1950. In the 1980s, Czechoslovakia was Mongolia's second-largest trading partner, behind Russia. After the 1992 dissolution of Czechoslovakia, Mongolia reaffirmed its relations with the newly formed Czech Republic in 1993. The Czech Republic has an embassy in Ulaanbaatar.
In the 1980s, Czechoslovakia was Mongolia's second-largest trading partner, behind Russia. After the 1992 dissolution of Czechoslovakia, Mongolia reaffirmed its relations with the newly formed Czech Republic in 1993.
However, in the 1990s, trade volumes declined sharply, though the Czech Republic still accounts for about 1% of Mongolia's imports. The Embassy of the Czech Republic in Ulaanbaatar was formally reopened in 1999. As of 2005, annual bilateral trade between the two countries was valued at US$5 million. The Czech government has also been involved in various water supply development programs in Mongolia. In 2002, the Czech Ministry of Industry and Trade developed plans to provide drinking water to Dundgovi Aimag through the development of a new water treatment plant at Mandalgovi. Then, in September 2007, the Czech Chamber of Commerce for East Asia signed a memorandum of cooperation agreeing to design and build new sewage processing plants for Ulaanbaatar. In terms of joint scientific expeditions looking for dinosaur fossils in Mongolia, the Mongolian side has also recently shown preference to Czech paleontologists over those from the United States, Germany, and Switzerland. Mongolian and Czech officials note a number of commonalities between the two countries which serve to cement their ties, such as their transitions to market-based economies and democratisation of previously communist-dominated governments. In 2012, the Czech Ministry of Industry and Trade announced a new partnership to the value of around four billion Czech koruna involving the supply of infrastructure to Mongolia.
- Foreign relations of the Czech Republic
- Foreign relations of Mongolia
- Mongolians in the Czech Republic
- "Mongolian - Czech friendship grows with EU". The Mongol Messenger. 2009-06-20. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "Report on the Foreign Policy of the Czech Republic, 1998-1999" (PDF). Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Czech Republic. 1999. pp. 187–188. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- "Bilateral trade turnover to be increased". Montsame. 2005-11-10. Retrieved 2007-10-24.[dead link]
- "Technological Equipment for Drinking Water Supply in Mandalgobi, Mongolia". GeoTest. Archived from the original on 2007-11-20. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- "Czech Republic to contribute to water s". Montsame. 2007-09-24. Retrieved 2007-10-24.[dead link]
- "Czech, Mongolian scientists preparing joint dinosaur expedition". Prague DailyMonitor. 2006-02-21. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- "Consultative meeting held". Montsame. 2007-10-10. Archived from the original on 2007-05-21. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- Lazarová, Daniela (26 April 2012). "Czechs secure lucrative contracts in Mongolia". Radio Prague. Retrieved 28 November 2014.