Czechoslovakia at the 1956 Summer Olympics
|Czechoslovakia at the Olympic Games|
|At the 1956 Summer Olympics in Melbourne/Stockholm|
|Competitors||63 (51 men and 12 women) in 10 sports|
|Flag bearer||Zdenĕk Růžička|
|Olympic history (summary)|
|Other related appearances|
| Bohemia (1900–1912)
Czech Republic (1994–)
The team was warned that their flight back to Czechoslovakia was in a danger of a terrorists' attack. All sportsmen had to undergo a long journey by a Soviet ship Gruzia from Melbourne to Vladivostok, Soviet Union and then by Trans-Siberian Railway to Moscow and by plane to Prague, Czechoslovakia. The whole journey took 31 days. The part of the journey from Melbourne to Moscow, Czechoslovakian sportsmen had to share a ship and train with Soviet sportsmen also returning home via this route. The coexistence was not idyllic and Czechoslovakians described it later as very humiliating. The Olympic team spent Christmas Day in the Pacific and New Year's Eve in Siberia. The team experienced high temperatures during voyage across equator and later freezing weather with -50 °C in Siberia.
It is very probable that the reason for the warning was only fictional and a long journey home was only a political decision made by Czechoslovak and Soviet communists. It was never justified.
- Shooting - 50 m rifle three positions, Otakar Hořínek
- Gymnastics - Women's Balance beam, Eva Bosáková
- Cycling - 1000m time trial, Ladislav Fouček
- Cycling - Tandem; Ladislav Fouček, Václav Machek
Men's 1000m Scratch Sprint
- Ladislav Fouček — 6th place
Men's 1000m Time Trial
- Ladislav Fouček — 1:11.4 (→ Silver Medal)
Men's 2000m Tandem
Men's 4.000m Team Pursuit
Men's Individual Road Race
- František Jursa — did not finish (→ no ranking)
- Jaroslav Cihlár — did not finish (→ no ranking)
- Jirí Nouza — did not finish (→ no ranking)
- Jirí Opavský — did not finish (→ no ranking)
One male pentathlete represented Czechoslovakia in 1956.
- "Czechoslovakia at the 1956 Melbourne Summer Games". sports-reference.com. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- Official Olympic Reports
- International Olympic Committee results database
- Czech Olympic report (in Czech)