Czesław Słania (22 October 1921 – 17 March 2005) was a Polish postage stamp and banknote engraver. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Słania was the most prolific of all stamp engravers, with over 1000 stamps to his credit. His 1000th engraved stamp, the painting "Great Deeds by Swedish Kings" by David Klöcker Ehrenstrahl (2000), is in the Guinness Book as the largest engraved stamp ever issued.
Słania was born in Czeladź near Katowice, Poland, the son of a miner. During the Second World War he forged documents for the Polish resistance. He entered the Kraków School of Fine Arts, a renowned graphics arts centre, in 1945. While still a student, Słania was employed by the Polish Stamp Printing Works, where he learned to engrave in steel. His first stamp was issued in Poland on 24 March 1951.
In 1956, Słania moved to Sweden, where he began employment with the Swedish postal authorities in 1959. He produced stamps for Sweden and 28 other countries. His work was of such recognized quality and detail that he is one of the very few "household names" among philatelists, and some specialize in collecting his work.
He was the Royal Court Engraver of Sweden since 1972.
His last work was a stamp in 2005 to commemorate the 60th session of the United Nations General Assembly.
Czesław Słania received many awards during his life, including:
- Commander Order of Poland 1999
- Order of Saint Charles
- Order of the Dannebrog (Denmark)
- Order Mérite Culturel (Monaco)
- Robert Stolz Music Prize (Sweden 1983)
- Rowland Hill Award 2002
- "Press release: Stamp engraver Czesław Słania passed away". Sweden Post Stamps. 2005-03-21. Retrieved 2009-06-07.
- "The Slania I Knew" by Otto Hornung in Gibbons Stamp Monthly, June 2005, p.90.
- "Obituary: Master Engraver Czeslaw Slania, 83, Dies". artdaily.org: The First Art Newspaper on the Net. 2005-03-25. Retrieved 2009-06-07.
- Pomp, Stephan (2008-11-17). "Collecting the Works of Czesław Słania". Exponet. Retrieved 2009-06-07.
- Collecting the Works of Czeslaw Slania by Chuck Matlack
- Czeslaw Slania's Engraved Stamps and Banknotes
- Online exhibition of Slania's works
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Czesław Słania.|
|This philatelic article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|