D*Face is an English multimedia street artist who uses spray paint, stickers, posters, and stencils.
"D*Face", a.k.a. Dean Stockton, grew up in London and had a childhood interest in graffiti. He credits this to Henry Chalfant's coverage of subway graffiti in New York City in Spraycan Art and Subway Art, later as a teenager skateboarding and in particular Thrasher magazine's coverage of skateboard deck graphics led his interest in stickers and the DIY mentality associated with skate and punk fanzines. He attended an illustration and design course and worked as a freelance illustrator/designer whilst honing his street work. Influences included Shepard Fairey's "Obey Giant" art campaign, Jim Philips, hip hop, punk music, and popular animated cartoons.
He held his first major London solo exhibition, Death & Glory, at the Stolenspace gallery, which sold out in October 2006. Since then, his exhibitions have included a solo show, Eyecons, at O Contemporary in Brighton in March 2007, again a sell out show. This featured new paintings, an installation and two prints — of Kurt "Kant Complain" and Cli-Che.
D*Face was the owner and curator for the Outside Institute, London's first contemporary art gallery to focus on street art. In 2005 the Outside Institute moved and re-branded to become the Stolen Space Gallery. In 2010, he collaborated with Christina Aguilera, on her album cover of Bionic.
- PIXELSURGEON | Interviews | Art | D*Face
- "D*Face Exhibition 'Death & Glory'". Pimp Magazine. Retrieved 2007-08-29.
- Seen: D*Face @ O Contemporary, Vinyl Pulse, 31 March 2007.
- "D*Face's Outside Institute Opens In London". Woostercollective. Retrieved 2005-03-30.[dead link]
- Fransesca Gavin Graffiti legend SEEN at London’s first street-art gallery, BBC collective, 1 April 2005. Retrieved 2011-12-12.
- D*Face Fans Forum
- Street Logos, Tristan Manco, Thames & Hudson, 2004, ISBN 0-500-28469-5
- The Art Of Rebellion: The World Of Street Art by Christian Hundertmark. Gingko Press (2005). ISBN 978-1-58423-157-8
- The Art Of Rebellion 2– World of Urban Art Activism by Christian Hundertmark. Gingko Press (2006). ISBN 978-3-9809909-4-3
- Interview with Manuel Bello of FECAL FACE DOT COM
- UK Adapta Interview