D. A. Carson
|D. A. Carson|
|Born||Donald Arthur Carson
December 21, 1946
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
|Education||B.S. (1967), M.Div., Ph.D. (1975)|
|Alma mater||McGill University
Central Baptist Seminary
University of Cambridge
|Occupation||Research professor, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School|
Background and education
Carson was born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, to Thomas Donald McMillan Carson and Elizabeth Margaret (née Maybury), but grew up in Drummondville. He earned his B.S. (1967) in chemistry and mathematics from McGill University, his M.Div. from Central Baptist Seminary (Toronto), and his Ph.D. (1975) in the New Testament from the University of Cambridge. Carson married Joy (née Wheildon) on August 16, 1975.
Carson served as pastor of Richmond Baptist Church in Richmond, British Columbia from 1970 to 1972. Following his doctoral studies, he served for three years at Northwest Baptist Theological College (Vancouver) and in 1976 was the founding dean of the seminary. In 1978, Carson joined the faculty of Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, where he is currently serving as research professor.
He was one of the speakers at the Hong Kong Bible Conference 2012, speaking on Successes and Failures of Reformation - A Biblical Study of Nehemiah.
Carson has written or edited 57 books, many of which have been translated into Chinese. These include major commentaries on Matthew in the Expositor's Bible Commentary (ISBN 0310499615) and John (ISBN 085111749X), commentaries on parts of the Bible, such as 1 Corinthians 12-14 (ISBN 0801025214) and the Sermon on the Mount (ISBN 0801024803). He has also written books on prayer, suffering, and free will and predestination from a generally compatibilist and Calvinist perspective.
Other publications include:
- The King James Version Debate: A Plea for Realism (1979) ISBN 0-8010-2427-7
- Exegetical Fallacies (1984) ISBN 0-8010-2499-4
- How Long, O Lord?: Reflections on Suffering and Evil (1990, 2006) ISBN 0-8010-3125-7
- The Cross and Christian Ministry: Leadership Lessons from 1 Corinthians (1993, 2004) ISBN 0-8010-9168-3
- The Inclusive Language Debate: A Plea for Realism (1998) ISBN 0-85111-584-5
- The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God (1999) ISBN 1-58134-126-1
- For the Love of God, 2 volume devotional commentary based on Robert Murray M'Cheyne's system for reading the Bible through in one year (1998, 2006) ISBN 1-58134-815-0
- Becoming Conversant with the Emerging Church: Understanding a Movement and Its Implications (2005) ISBN 0-310-25947-9
- Telling the Truth: Evangelizing Postmoderns (2000, 2002)
- Justification And Variegated Nomism, 2 volumes which deal with the New Perspective on Paul issues that have arisen in recent years from people such as N. T. Wright (2001, 2004) ISBN 0-8010-2792-6
- Christ and Culture Revisited (2008) ISBN 0-8028-3174-5
- Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament, Editor, along with Beale, G. K.. (2008) ISBN 0-8010-2693-8
- Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor: The Life and Reflections of Tom Carson (2008) ISBN 1-4335-0199-6
- Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus (2010) ISBN 1-4335-1125-8
- The Intolerance of Tolerance (2012) ISBN 0-8028-3170-2
- Köstenberger, Andreas J.. "Detailed biography on D.A. Carson". Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- http://thegospelcoalition.org/about/council-members Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- Speaker Introduction - Dr. D. A. Carson, Official Website of Hong Kong Bible Conference
- "A Kernel of Wheat Christian Ministries". Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- "1997 Gold Medallion Book Awards Winners". Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- Trinity Evangelical Divinity School's page on Dr. D. A. Carson
- D. A. Carson (Theopedia)
- Debate Over Gender-Inclusive Language
Publications and Audio:
- The Gospel Coalition collection: Includes a comprehensive bibliography (over 350 free PDFs) and sermons and lectures (about 500 free MP3s)