D. Bruce Johnstone
Johnstone was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota and pursued degrees in Economics and Education at Harvard University before taking a high school teaching position in Westport, Connecticut. He then returned to school, earning a Ph.D. in Higher Education at the University of Minnesota in 1969.
After brief stints working as an administrative assistant to Walter F. Mondale and a project specialist at the Ford Foundation, Johnstone took academic and administrative positions at the University of Pennsylvania. In 1979, he assumed the Presidency of Buffalo State College.
In 1988, he was chosen to head the State University of New York System. Johnstone commissioned an influential support to spur lawmakers to enable the SUNY System to adapt to the changing needs of New York State, specifically, the need to educate older and more ethnically diverse students and to supply the State healthcare system with an ample supply of healthcare workers. He resigned in 1994 after struggling with pancreatic cancer.
Johnstone currently serves as Distinguished Service Professor of Higher and Comparative Education and Director, International Comparative Higher Education Finance and Accessibility Project at University at Buffalo, The State University of New York.
- Butterfield, Fox (April 22, 1988), "SUNY Selects a Chancellor from Within", The New York Times, retrieved 2008-04-12
- The State University of New York (1991), SUNY 2000, a Vision for the New Century, Albany, New York: Office of the Chancellor, SUNY, OCLC 24535234
- "D. Bruce Johnstone Chancellor's Leadership, Vision Put SUNY on Track", University at Buffalo Reporter, March 10, 1994, retrieved 2008-04-12
- Newman, Maria (February 8, 1994), "Illness Is Forcing Chancellor of SUNY to Resign from Post", The New York Times, retrieved 2008-04-12
- "Faculty Details: D. Bruce Johnstone". UB Graduate School of Education. Archived from the original on 2008-03-06. Retrieved 2008-04-12.
E. K. Fretwell, Jr.
|President of Buffalo State College
August 16, 1979 – July 31, 1988
F. C. Richardson
Jerome B. Komisar (Acting)
|Chancellor of the State University of New York
August 1, 1988 – February 28, 1994
Joseph C. Burke (Acting)