D. J. Science College
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (May 2012)|
|D. J. Sindh Government Science College|
|Established||17 January 1887|
|Type||Intermediate (Pre-Engineering & Pre-Medical) & Undergraduate (BSc - Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Geology, Statistics, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Botany & Zoology)|
|Principal||Allah Bux Awan (from 13th August 2014 to 17th October 2014)|
|Location||Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan|
|Affiliations||Board of Intermediate Education Karachi and University of Karachi|
Inaugurated as Sindh Arts College by Lord Reay, Governor of Bombay, on 17 January 1882, the college was renamed D. J. Science College upon completion of the present structure on 19 November 1887. Located in the heart of old Karachi, the foundation stone for this college was laid in 1882, by Lord Dufferin, Viceroy of India. The college is named after Diwan Dayaram Jethmal, its main benefactor. The cost of construction is reported to have been Rs.186,514 out of which the government contributed Rs. 97,193, the balance being raised through public donations.
The college has following premises;
- Main Building is divided in to two main part, one new portion has the office of the Principal, office superintendent and clerk offices. In this portion, there're departments of Urdu and Statistics in ground floor and the departments of Islamic Studies and Pakistan Studies in first floor. The oldest portion of main building has departments of Biochemistry, Botany, English & Physics in the ground floor, department of Chemistry, Computer Science & Microbiology and also some class rooms in the first floor and department of Zoology in the second floor.
- A. Q. Block has only classrooms, they are specially for first year.
- The is another building on Muhammad bin Qasim Road, behind the main oldest building, it has Main Library, departments of Mathematics and Geology.
- M.Sc. block is under construction. It is opposite to the A. Q. Block.
- State-of-the-art gymnasium is adjacent to the A. Q. Block.
- The Principal's bungalow is also the one of the oldest building, nowadays, Sindh Textbook Board has occupied this building as camp office.
- Sport Complex is near the P.I.D.C round about and opposite the Pearl Continent Hotel. This complex is used for cricket and football.
Faculties / Departments
The college has the following departments;
- Computer Science
- Geology (admission didn't offer in BSc (Geology) in the session 2013-14 onwords)
- Islamic Studies
- Pakistan Studies
- Physical Education and Sports
The college offers the admission in Pre-Engineering and Pre-Medical for Intermediate level affiliated to the Board of Intermediate Education, Karachi (B.I.E.K) under CAP - Centralized Admission Policy and for undergraduate level, the college of combination of any three (Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Geology, Statistics, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Botany & Zoology). The college also offers admission in three Bachelor of Computer Science (B.C.S. Semester System) programe, affiliated to University of Karachi.
In 2014 Intermediate (Pre-Engineering) Examinations Result, Khuzaima Sohail Salat of the DJ Sind Government Science College scoring 89.09 per cent, stood 3rd Position in the Board of Intermediate Education, Karachi (BIEK).
- Mullineux R. Walmsley 1887-1988
- Moses John Jackson 1888-1907
- H.P Ferrell 1908-1916
- A.C Miller 1917-1918
- S.C Shahani 1918-1927
- N.B Bhutani 1927-1943
- H.M Gorbkhshani 1943-1944
- J.V Lakhani 1944-1947
- Mariwalla, Dharamdas Tekchand, 1947
- AL Sheikh 1948-1955
- LA deSouza 1955-1961
- JB Sidhwa 1961-1967
- Iftekhar Ahmed Ansari 1967-1972
- SH Zubairi 1972-1984
- Obaidur Rehman 1984-1985
- Abul Samad 1985-1986
- Naseem Sheikh 1986 Apr-Jun
- Ziauddin Ahmed 1986 Jul-Sep
- Anwarul Haq Hashmi 1986-1987
- Zaheer Ahmed 1987-1988
- Naseem Ahmed Sheikh 1988-1990
- Sabzwari 1990 Aug-Sep
- M Qasim Siddiqui 1990-1991
- Abul Wakeel Qureshi 1991
- M Qasim Siddiqui 1991-1993
- Kamalud Din 1993-1995
- Mazharul Haq 1995-1996
- Dr. Muhammad Sharif Memon 1996-1997
- Ravi Shankar Harani 1997 (as In-charge)
- Asif 1997-1999
- Ravi Shankar Harani 1999-2006
- Hakeemullah Baig Chughtai 2006
- Rizwan haider 2009
- Kamil Shere 2010-2012
- Syed Afzal Hussain 05th March 2012 to 12th June 2013
- Dr. Muhammad Arshad (Acting) 13 June 2013 to 16 July 2013
- Ghulam Mehdi Blouch 17 July 2013 to 31st March 2014
- Dr. Muhammad Arshad (Acting) 1st April 2014 to 12th August 2014
- Allah Bux Awan 13th August 2014 to 17th October 2014
- Abdul Qadeer Khan (Nuclear Scientist)
- Ashraf Habibullah (President & CEO of Computers and Structures, Inc.)
- Ziaur Rahman (President of Bangladesh )
- Justice S. A. Rabbani(Ex-Judge - Sindh High Court)
- Pirzada Qasim (Ex-Vice Chancellor Karachi University, Vice Chancellor Ziauddin University)
- Zafar Saied Saify (Ex-Vice-Chancellor And HEC Eminent scholar and Visiting Faculty in HEJ)
- Adeebul Hasan Rizvi (Founder SIUT)
- Shahid Masood (journalist)
- Kamran Ashraf (National hockey player)
- Shahid Ali Khan (National hockey player)
- Sohail Rana (composer)
- Bashir Syed (Solar Physicist, Research Scientist, NASA)
- Talib Haider (Geo News Journalist And a News Presenter)
- Dr. Adibul Hassan Rizvi (Founder of Siut)
- Abid Ali Umang (Member National Assembly 2004-2007)
- "Dayaram Jethamal's History". Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Sindh Arts College, Karachi". Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- No stone unturned
- "Dept. of Geology, D. J. College". Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Centralized Admission Policy - CAP". Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Board of Intermediate Education Affiliated College". Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "List of Government affiliated College, University of Karachi - Serial No. 14.". Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Pre-engineering results: Education board revokes affiliation of four more private colleges". Retrieved 23rd August 2014.
- "Sindh Graduate Association, Islamabad". Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- "Dawn NEWS - KARACHI: Admissions to colleges begin from 11th". Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- "Dawn NEWS - KARACHI :College principals to get more powers". Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- "University of Karachi - Voter List, Page #: 2, Serial #: 20". Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- "Senior List, Page #: 5, Serial #: 59". Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Prof Allah Bux Awan appointed as Principal of the DJ Sindh Govt. Science College, Karachi (Daily Ummat, Karachi - Urdu)". Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Senior List, Page #: 3, Serial #: 22". Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Famous Scientist Organization". Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Banglapedia - National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh". Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "Sindh High Court - Justice S. A. Rabbani". Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- "H.E.C. Approved Supervisor Personal Profile - Zafar Saied Saify". Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "The SIUT Story — Making the ‘Impossible’ Possible launched". Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- Official Website
- CAP 2014 Website
- Sindh TV Documentary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EaDOWQ1oPo
- Centralized Admission Policy, Govt. of Sindh http://www.cap.edu.pk/
- Board of Intermediate Education, Karachi http://www.biek.edu.pk/
- University of Karachi http://uok.edu.pk
- Department of Higher, Technical Education & Research, Govt. of Sindh http://www.sindheducation.gov.pk/
- Higher Education Commission - HEC Recognized Universities and Degree Awarding Institutionshttp://hec.gov.pk/OurInstitutes/Pages/UniversitiesAffiliatedColleges.aspx