The DAMA (Data Management Association) is a not-for-profit, vendor-independent, international association of technical and business professionals dedicated to advancing the concepts and practices of information resource management (IRM) and data resource management (DRM).
DAMA's primary purpose is to promote the understanding, development and practice of managing information and data as a key enterprise asset. The group is organized as a set of more than 40 chapters and members-at-large around the world, with an International Conference held every year. DAMA currently has chapters in 16 countries, with the most substantial presence in the United States.
The DAMA Guide to the Data Management Body of Knowledge" (DAMA-DMBOK Guide), under the guidance of a new DAMA-DMBOK Editorial Board. This publication is available from April 5th, 2009.
From its inception in 1989 through to 2002, The DAMA Individual Achievement Awards have recognized a data professional who has made significant, demonstrable contributions to the information resource management industry consistent with DAMA International's vision. Beginning in 2003, DAMA created additional categories to recognize more people who have made special contributions to the world of data management. The awards categories are:
- Academic Achievement Award: To a member from academia for outstanding research or theoretical contributions in the area of IRM/DRM
- DAMA Community Award : To a member of the DAMA community who has gone beyond the call of volunteer service to enhance the efforts of providing exceptional benefits to the DAMA Membership.
- Government Achievement Award : To a member of the leadership populace for instituting the inclusion and adherence to DRM/IRM principles.
- Professional Achievement Award : To a member from the ‘industry’ (business, discipline, specialist) who has made significant, demonstrable contributions to the IRM/DRM.
- Lifetime Achievement and Contribution Award : This special award has been presented to John Zachman in 2002 and Michael Brackett in 2006.
|This article about a professional association is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|