User interface of DAZ Studio Version 22.214.171.124
|Stable release||126.96.36.199/4.7 (BETA) / 16 May 2013|
|Operating system||Windows XP or later
Mac OS X Leopard or later
|Platform||IA-32 and x86-64|
|Type||3D computer graphics|
DAZ Studio is a 3D figure illustration/animation application. It is compatible with most files intended for use by Poser. It is available for free but registration is required. Version 1.0 was released in Fall 2005. Until version 1.7 it was officially known as DAZ|Studio. On February 1, 2012, DAZ 3D Inc. announced it would be giving away DAZ Studio Pro for free. 
The latest stable version is 4.7.
Unlike most 3D software, where 3D objects are usually created from scratch, DAZ Studio is designed to allow users to manipulate "ready to use" models and figures. It is aimed at users who are interested in posing human and non-human figures for illustrations and animation, but who do not wish to incur the expense--in terms of time and money--of higher-end 3D and CAD software. It was created as a direct alternative to Poser by DAZ Productions, the company that (as Zygote) created the built-in content for earlier versions of Poser.
In comparison to Poser, DAZ Studio uses a different core business model. Poser provides a large set of components, not all essential to the creation of imagery, in a commercially available program. DAZ Studio provides a core free of charge program with the required features for the creation of imagery, while relegating other features to add-on 'plug-ins', usually commercial, which the user may add.
DAZ Studio is capable of importing most Poser content, with the notable exceptions of dynamic clothing, dynamic hair, physics, Poser mixed rigging, Poser weight mapping rigging, and Poser weight mapped magnets. As a result of the different lighting models, lights may need to be tweaked or replaced, and while textures are generally usable between the two (other than Poser node-based materials), optimum results may need slightly different lighting values for each.
DAZ Studio has a simple interface allowing the user to add and manipulate models within the scene, add and manipulate morphs (body-shape changes), adjust the textures applied to models, add and adjust lighting and to fine-tune the render process.
DAZ Studio is bundled with a hard-linked (non-standalone) version of the 3Delight renderer, which is compliant with RenderMan (commonly used in the production of blockbuster visual effects). The renderer is able to render higher order surfaces like true subdivision surfaces (already implemented in DAZ Studio) and supports true 3D motion blur and depth of field. As of version 3.0, DAZ Studio has been updated to exploit more features of the 3Delight render engine. Some advanced features may still require use of an exported scene file and the stand-alone version of the tool.
DAZ Studio does not yet support dynamic hair, tapering of body parts, or (in the Mac OS X version) texture maps in the PICT format. Dynamic clothing support was added using a plug-in released in 2009, however the Poser and DAZ Studio implementations of dynamic clothing are mutually incompatible. Other commercial plug-ins provide alternate rendering, lighting, animation and other capabilities.
DAZ Studio 3.0 was released in June 2009. The basic DAZ Studio 3.0 follows the free software model of earlier releases, retaining all previous features while adding in several new ones. At the same time, DAZ Productions introduced a commercially available version, DAZ Studio 3.0 Advanced which introduces additional features beyond those in the basic version:
- an animation keyframe editor
- a faster render engine
- better Open GL display
- Morph Follower improves the fit of clothing to different morphs (DS3A only)
- Figure Mixer allows the creative recombination of the features of different figures (DS3A only)
- Shader Mixer allows the creation of new shaders (DS3A only)
- Avimator a simple open source BVH editor, (now replaced by a Qt port, Qavimator)
- Bryce – DAZ Studio functions as a Bryce plugin
- iClone Studio – real-time animation software
- Poser – a commercial alternative to DAZ Studio
- "DAZ Studio Official Site". DAZ Studio. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- Ozok, A. Ant; Zaphiris, Panayiotis. Online Communities and Social Computing: Third International Conference, OCSC 2009, Held as Part of HCI International 2009, San Diego, CA, USA, July 19–24, ... Applications, incl. Internet/Web, and HCI.
- "Greg’s bite: Department of Justice looks at the ‘Big Apple’". Macsimum News. Retrieved 2010-05-29.
- "$800 of software for free: grab Daz Studio Pro, Bryce Pro and Hexagon for nothing". 3D World Magazine. February 2, 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-02.