DEA list of chemicals
The United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) maintains lists regarding the classification of illicit drugs (see DEA Schedules). It also maintains List I of chemicals and List II of chemicals, which contain chemicals that are used to manufacture the controlled substances/illicit drugs. The lists are designated within The Controlled Substances Act, 21 U.S.C. § 802, Definition 34 (list I) and 35 (list II).
Although the list is designated by the U.S. Attorney General, the list is considered a DEA list because the DEA publishes and enforces the list.
Suppliers of these products are subject to regulation and control measures.
List I chemicals
These chemicals are designated as those that are used in the manufacture of the controlled substances and are important to the manufacture of the substances.
- Anthranilic acid, its esters, and its salts
- Benzyl cyanide
- Ephedrine its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers
- Ergocristine and its salts
- Ergonovine and its salts
- Ergotamine and its salts
- Ethylamine and its salts
- Hydroiodic acid
- Hypophosphorous acid and its salts (including ammonium hypophosphite, calcium hypophosphite, iron hypophosphite, potassium hypophosphite, manganese hypophosphite, magnesium hypophosphite and sodium hypophosphite)
- Iodine, including elemental iodine crystals and chemical mixtures containing greater than 2.2% concentration of iodine (e.g., strong iodine tincture and Lugol's iodine)
- Methylamine and its salts
- N-Methylephedrine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers
- N-Methylpseudoephedrine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers
- N-Acetylanthranilic acid, its esters, and its salts
- Norpseudoephedrine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers
- Phenylacetic acid, its esters, and its salts
- Phenylpropanolamine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers
- Phosphorus (white ("yellow") or red allotropes)
- Piperidine and its salts
- Propionic anhydride
- Pseudoephedrine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers
List II chemicals
These chemicals are designated as those that are used in the manufacture of the controlled substances.
- Acetic anhydride
- Benzyl chloride
- 2-butanone (or methyl ethyl ketone or MEK)
- Diethyl ether
- Hydrochloric acid (including anhydrous hydrogen chloride)
- Potassium permanganate
- Methyl isobutyl ketone (MIBK)
- Sodium permanganate
- Sulfuric acid
Special Surveillance List
All listed chemicals as specified in 21 CFR 1310.02 (a) or (b). This includes all chemical mixtures and all over-the-counter (OTC) products and dietary supplements which contain a listed chemical, regardless of their dosage form or packaging and regardless of whether the chemical mixture, drug product or dietary supplement is exempt from regulatory controls.
- Ammonia gas
- Ammonium formate
- 1,1-Dichloro-1-fluoroethane (e.g. freon 141B)
- Diethylamine and its salts
- 2,5-Dimethoxyphenethylamine and its salts
- Formic acid
- Lithium metal
- Lithium aluminum hydride
- Magnesium metal (turnings)
- Mercuric chloride
- Organomagnesium halides (Grignard reagents) (e.g. ethylmagnesium bromide and phenylmagnesium bromide)
- Phenylethanolamine and its salts
- Phosphorus pentachloride
- Potassium dichromate
- Pyridine and its salts
- Sodium dichromate
- Sodium metal
- Thionyl chloride
- Trichloromonofluoromethane (e.g. freon-11, carrene-2)
- 1,1,2-Trichloro-1,2,2-trifluoroethane (e.g. freon 113)
- 66 FR 52670—52675. 17 October 2001.
- 37 CFR 1310.02
-  US DEA, "Final Rule: Changes in the Regulation of Iodine Crystals and Chemical Mixtures Containing Over 2.2 Percent Iodine," Federal Register, Volume 72, Number 126; July 2, 2007 (FR Doc E7-12736).
- “List of Federal DEA List II Chemicals (per 21 CFR 1310.02(b)).” As published by ESP Chemicals, Inc. on their website (retrieved May 28, 2007).
- Code of Federal Regulations: Food and Drugs: Records and reports of listed chemicals and certain machines--Substances covered (21CFR1310.02). Revised as of April 1, 2009. From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access . Retrieved 2009-08-19.
- Special Surveillance List of Chemicals, Products, Materials and Equipment Used in the Clandestine Production of Controlled Substances or Listed Chemicals
- DEA Controlled Substance Schedules
- Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations, parts 1300-1499, which contain the regulations pertaining to watched chemicals and the reporting of transactions involving them (version effective April 1, 2008)