DHL Fastest Lap Award
|DHL Fastest Lap Award|
|Awarded for||Most number of fastest laps in a Formula One season|
|Currently held by||Sebastian Vettel|
The DHL Fastest Lap Award is awarded to the driver with the most fastest laps in a Formula One season. The trophy is the first such award to honour drivers with the most fastest laps. According to Bernie Ecclestone, the award, "recognises the very things that make Formula 1: speed and organisation." 
The award is sponsored by DHL, as part of their role as logistics partner of the sport. Ken Allen, chief executive officer of DHL Express explained why DHL sponsors this award, "The fastest lap in a race is always a challenge. This is the result of speed, precision and teamwork. Winning the DHL Fastest Lap Trophy adds continuity and reliability to this. All these attributes found the basis for DHL’s express business as well."
In the event of a tie, there is a countback, with the most amount of second fastest laps, third fastest laps or so on being considered until a winner is found.
In the six year history of the award, there have been three tiebreak situations; in 2007, when Kimi Räikkönen and Felipe Massa tied with six fastest laps, and two second fastest laps, in 2009, when both Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber had three fastest laps at the end of the season, and again in 2010, with Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton each having five fastest laps.
In contrast to the other four close years of the award, in 2008 Räikkönen had ten fastest laps, ahead of second placed Massa with three, and in 2012 Vettel had six fastest laps, ahead of Nico Rosberg, Jenson Button and Kimi Räikkönen, who each had two.
Mark Webber secured the DHL Fastest Lap award for the 2011 season after setting an unassailable number of fastest laps at the penultimate race, the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. With another fastest lap at the season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix, he beat Hamilton, Jenson Button and World Champion Vettel seven fastest laps to three.
Kimi Räikkönen and Sebastian Vettel are the only drivers to do the DHL Fastest Lap Award and Formula One World Drivers' Championship double in the same year, with Räikkönen achieving the feat in 2007 and Vettel in both 2012 and 2013.
|2009||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull||RB5||3|
|2011||Mark Webber||Red Bull||RB7||7|
|2012||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull||RB8||6|
|2013||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull||RB9||7|
- "DHL to sponsor Formula 1's fastest laps trophy". Brand Republic. Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- "Pure adrenaline". Deutsche Post DHL. Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- "Alonso wins DHL Fastest Lap Trophy". formula1.com. Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- "DHL Fastest Lap Award - 2007 Results". formula1.com. Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- "DHL Fastest Lap Award - 2009 Results". formula1.com. Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- "DHL Fastest Lap Award - 2010 Results". formula1.com. Retrieved 14 November 2010.
- "DHL Fastest Lap Award - 2008 Results". formula1.com. Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- "DHL Fastest Lap Award - 2012 Results". formula1.com. Retrieved 25 December 2012.
- "DHL Fastest Lap Award - 2011 Results". formula1.com. Retrieved 14 November 2011.
- "DHL Fastest Lap Award - 2010 Results". formula1.com. Retrieved 27 September 2010.
- "DHL Fastest Lap Award - 2013 Results". formula1.com. Retrieved 24 November 2013.