|Birth name||Raashaun Casey|
September 3, 1977 |
Queens, New York, United States
|Origin||Queens, New York|
|Genres||Hip hop, R&B|
|Labels||Desert Storm, Koch|
|Associated acts||DJ Clue?, Red Cafe, Nina Sky, Angela Yee, Charlamagne Tha God,|
Raashaun Casey (born August 3, 1977), known by his professional name DJ Envy, is an American DJ. He is also one of the three hosts of Power 105's The Breakfast Club with Angela Yee and Charlamagne Tha God and an MTV2 VJ for The Week in Jams.
A native of Queens, New York, DJ Envy was tutored by neighborhood acquaintance DJ Clue?, who introduced him to the mixtape circuit in the mid-1990s. He quickly climbed up the ranks, and by the early 2000 he was peddling the latest freestyles and exclusives for big-name rappers like Jay-Z, 50 Cent and The L.O.X.. Since his reputation was so esteemed Sony signed him to their affiliate label Desert Storm Records. In 2003, he released his commercial debut album entitled The Desert Storm Mixtape: Blok Party, Vol. 1.
Envy's big break on the radio came when he mixed once a month for Hot 97's show called "Takin' it to the Streets", hosted by Angie Martinez from 12:00 am to 4:00 am, but later filled in when Angie Martinez got pregnant. He then co-host Hot 97's morning show with Miss Jones from 6 am-10 am daily. His run on the morning show ended in July 2008 when Miss Jones moved to Philadelphia. Envy spinned on his own mixshows on Hot 97 called "The People's Mix" on Saturdays from 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm and "The People's Choice Hit List" on Sundays 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm. He had a segment on Hot 97 titled "New at 2", where he played the newest hits from 2:00 pm to 2:30 pm. He hosts Hip-Hop Nation's afternoon show on Sirius XM Radio on weekdays 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm EST and on weekends he used to do a show from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm on Power 105.
As of Monday December 6, 2010, DJ Envy, Angela Yee and Charlamagne Tha God began hosting the morning show on Power 105 as The Breakfast Club. He also went by the name DJ Shrimp before his current DJ name he uses today. He also feuded with DJ Drama but their reconciled live on The Breakfast Club.
Envy has made appearances on Chris Brown and Juelz Santana music video "Back to the Crib" various television shows like 106 & Park, Entourage and Tha Corner, which he hosts on the Music Choice channel. He was featured in the 2006 film Blood of a Champion, credited as Shadow's enemy friend. He also appeared in The Raw Report of Gucci Mane documentary.
DJ Envy is married to Gia Casey (born c. 1979), who is partly Asian. They have two children.
- The Desert Storm Mixtape: Blok Party, Vol. 1 (2003)
- The Co-Op (with Red Cafe) (2007)
- It's Moovin' (2009)
- Love and Envy (2011)
- Audio Uprising, Vol. 1 (2011)
- Full Breach. Vol. 5 (2014)
- "Feel the Hate" – Murderers (2000)
- "Broken Silence" – Foxy Brown (2001)
- "The Bad Guy" (featuring Pain in da Ass) – Fabolous (2001)
- "Wait a Minute" – Joe Budden (2004)
- DJ Envy at allmusic.com
- Baker, Al (May 13, 2006) D.J. Is Arrested Over His Threat to Rival's Child. New York Times.
- DJ Envy Return of the Hustle. Xxlmag.com (July 27, 2007). Retrieved on August 1, 2014.
- DJ Envy's 5 DJ Commandments. SOHH.com
- Blood of a Champion (2006) – Full cast and crew. IMDb
- DJ Envy Teams Up With Rob Luna! : Rob Luna Music | Buy Beats Online | Mixtape Promo. Rob Luna Music (July 3, 2014). Retrieved on August 1, 2014.