|Origin||Ottawa, Ontario, Canada|
|Occupations||Rapper, record producer|
|Labels||URBNET, Nine Planets Hip Hop, Universal Music Canada|
Oliver Nestor, better known as DL Incognito, is an underground Canadian hip hop producer and rapper from Ottawa, Ontario, who started his career in 1998. The name 'DL Incognito' means "Deliverying Lyrics on the Low". His 2004 album Life's a Collection of Experiences received a 2005 Juno nomination for Best Rap Recording. His third studio album, Organic Music for a Digital World (2006), was also nominated for a 2007 Juno Award in the same category. DL Incognito faced stiff competition from label mate Classified but both lost to Swollen Members.
With DL Incognito's fourth album, A Captured Moment in Time, DL Incognito ranks among the few Canadian hip hop artists to release four full-length albums.
DL Incognito said in an interview that his main goal is "just trying to give Canadian hip-hop an identity." In another interview, he said what inspires him to rap is life: "Life inspires me, all the ups & downs that people go through, current events, happiness, pain, everything is an inspiration. As I continue on this journey I've realized that life's a collection of experiences and my albums are captured moments in time."
Both he and his twin brother Nick manage their own label, Nine Planets Hip Hop.
In many songs, DL talks about personal issues such as the loss of his mother:
- On the track "The Ending" off of Life's A Collection..., DL raps 'If I never really make it mom it ain't your fault you gave me everything.'
- On the first song "Welcome" off the Organic Music... album, DL raps 'While I was fightin' for radio spins, my mother was fighting a battle she couldn't win, found the strength within, then I lost her to cancer, there's your answer if you ask me where the promos been.'
- 'Make A Difference' (Organic Music) DL raps 'And when I go I'll finally see my mommy again, Miss you mommy twenty four seven.'
- 'Live In My Element' (Organic Music) DL raps 'My brother has my mother's tattoo upon his arm, a portrait of her so life like I, can feel her charm, We will always remember, through us you will live on.'
- 'Reality Bites' (Organic Music) DL raps 'Raise your kids, my mother did, struggled for a bit, plus she raised her twins, strong black woman rest in peace mom I love ya.'
- Is originally from Ottawa, and now resides in Toronto.
- According to the song 'Reality Bites', DL and manager Nick are twins.
- Is of black (Haitian) and white (French Canadian) ancestry.
- In the UK, his records are released by Wolftown Recordings.
- Was a large supporter of LRG clothing until he left (on good terms) and is now sponsored by Scifen.
- His song 'Keep It Movin was featured in the ski movie Seven Sunny Days.
- A Sample and a Drum Machine (Nine Planets Hip Hop) (July 23, 2002)
- Life's a Collection of Experiences (Nine Planets Hip Hop) (November 23, 2004)
- Organic Music for a Digital World (Nine Planets Hip Hop) (June 20, 2006)
- A Captured Moment in Time (Nine Planets Hip Hop) (April 8, 2008)
- Someday Is Less Than A Second Away (URBNET) (April 16, 2013)
- "Rugged Raw"
- "Spit Forever 2"
- "Live In My Element"
- "Make a Difference"
- "Air Play"
- DL Incognito's Website
- URBNET Some Day is Less Than a Second Away - Album Page
- DL Incognito's Soundcloud
- DL Incognito's MySpace page
- Life's A Collection of Experiences Review
- Urbnet Bio (.PDF format)
- AllHipHop.com article
- Spit Foreva review
- Ottawa Xpress article