DSB Class MZ
DSB MZ 1413
|Type and origin|
|Build date||1967–1968 (I)*
|Total produced||total: 61
|Gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
|Wheel diameter||1,015 mm (39.96 in)|
|Length||20.800 m (68 ft 2 7⁄8 in) (I - II)*
21.000 m (68 ft 10 3⁄4 in) (III - IV)*
|Height||4,260 mm (167 3⁄4 in)|
|Locomotive weight||116.5 tonnes (114.7 long tons; 128.4 short tons) (I - II)*
121.2 tonnes (119.3 long tons; 133.6 short tons) (III)*
123 tonnes (121 long tons; 136 short tons) (IV)*
|Prime mover||EMD 645E3|
|Engine type||two stroke diesel|
|Cylinders||V16 (I - II)
V20 (III - IV)
|Maximum speed||143 km/h (89 mph) (I - II)*
165 km/h (103 mph) (III - IV)*
|Power output||2,426 kW (3,253 hp) (I - II)*
2,867 kW (3,845 hp) (III- IV)*
|Tractive effort||390 kN (88,000 lbf)|
DSB class MZ was a series of 61 diesel-electric locomotives operated by Danske Statsbaner. They were built by NOHAB between 1967 and 1978 on licence from General Motors EMD with subcontractors Thrige-Titan (traction motors) and Frichs (chassis, bodywork) .
There were four series of the locomotive built, designated I - IV.
Twenty units became the property of Railion Denmark in 2001, sixteen units of the III series were exported to Australia in the late 2000s. As of 2010 most of the remainder of the class are divided between various Danish, Swedish and Norwegian companies.
In Sweden the locomotives have received the designation TMZ.
Ten units of the first series were built between 1967 and 1969, each costing DKK ~2.4 million. One is kept by DSB Museum (MZ 1401), while the rest were sold to various Swedish operators between 2002 and 2006 including three to Motala Verkstad, two to Svensk Tågteknik AB (STT), and single units to TÅGAB, Inlandsgods, BK Tåg and Three T AB.
Sixteen units of the second series were built in 1970. They have a similar appearance and many of the same characteristics as the I-series.
Seven units became the property of Railion Denmark in 2001. Most locomotives were sold to various Swedish and Norwegian operators between 2003 and 2006 including two units each to BK Tåg, TÅGAB and the Norwegian National Rail Administration (Jernbaneverket), and single units to Motala Verkstad and Svensk Tågteknik AB. Locomotive number MZ 1425 has been rented to Railiom between 2001 and 2003 and in 2004 was equipped with automatic coupling for the transportation of IC4 multiple unit trains.
Twenty units of the third series were built between 1972–1974 at a cost of DKK ~3.75million each. They have a slightly different appearance and were equipped with more powerful engines (20 cylinder version) and higher top speed. The maximum hauled train weight is increased by 200 tonnes (197 long tons; 220 short tons) over the second series.
Sixteen units were sold to Australian operator Lachlan Valley Rail Freight in 2006, and exported between 2006 and 2008. Two (1441 & 1444) were damaged in transit and only used for parts. After being regeared with a top speed of 105km/h, the remainder entered service retaining their existing numbers.
Two units were to TÅGAB of Sweden in 2006, five to Baneservice AS, Norway in 2009, the remainder have been in service with Railion Denmark since 2001.
- RENFE Class 333, the original class 333s were built to the same NOHAB design as the DSB MZ
- Christensen, Peter; John Poulsen (1999). Motor Materiel 5: Med motor fra GM (in Danish). bane bøger. p. 100. ISBN 87-88632-79-2.
- DSB MZ(I) 1401-1410, www.jernbanen.dk
- DSB MZ(II) 1411-1426, www.jernbanen.dk
- DSB MZ(III) 1427-1446, www.jernbanen.dk
- DSB MZ(IV) 1447-1461, www.jernbanen.dk
- Siegfried Schoepfer. "Die dänische MZ". train.scanditrain.de (in German).
- "Mz 1401". www.museumstog.dk (in Danish).
- "DSB MZ 1425". www.jernbanen.dk (in Danish).
- "14 class (ex DSB MZIII Class)", Railpage, retrieved Jan 2014
- "14 Class", Vicsig, retrieved Jan 2014
- Oberg, Leon (2010). Locomotives of Australia 1850s-2010s. Kenthurst: Rosenberg Publishing. pp. 437–438. ISBN 9781921719011.
- Individual locomotive histories
- "DSB Litra MZ(I) 1401-1410". www.jernbanen.dk (in Danish).
- "DSB Litra MZ(II) 1411-1426". www.jernbanen.dk (in Danish).
- "DSB Litra MZ(III) 1427-1446". www.jernbanen.dk (in Danish).
- "DSB MZ Litra(IV) 1447-1461". www.jernbanen.dk (in Danish).
- "Banesiden - Materiel - Straekningslokomotiver - MZ I". john-nissen.dk (in Danish).
- "Banesiden - Materiel - Straekningslokomotiver - MZ II". john-nissen.dk (in Danish).
- "Banesiden - Materiel - Straekningslokomotiver - MZ III". john-nissen.dk (in Danish).
- "Banesiden - Materiel - Straekningslokomotiver - MZ IV". john-nissen.dk (in Danish).
- History and technical
- Morten Abrahamsen. "Litra MZ serie I - IV - introduktion". www.morten-abrahamsen.dk (in Danish).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to DSB MZ.|
- "MZ's in Australia". www.railzone.org.
- "Mz lokomotiver". www.jernbane.net (in Norwegian).
- (editor) Bjarke Hvass. "Litra MZ i Danmark og udlandet". www.gm-nyt.dk (in Danish).