Daan Roosegaarde in 2012
|Born||1979 (age 35–36)
Early life and education
The studio partnered with Dutch fashion designers to develop the Intimacy dresses whose material reacts to the presence of other people.
Roosegaarde is involved in New Dutch Digital Design, a collective of artists who explore the boundaries between humans and cyberspace. One of his characteristic works is Dune, an interactive dune landscape consisting hundreds of LEDs. Next to Dune one of the main works is called Lotus 7.0. This piece of art had its premiere in Paris, and represents a living wall. When approaching the installation, hundreds of flowers made out of smart foils blossom. "We are at the dawn of a new nature," says Daan Roosegaarde. In 2014 Roosegaarde opened the Van Gogh-Roosegaarde cycle path  between Nuenen and Eindhoven, inspired by The Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh. This path creates an interaction between light and poetry, just like Rainbow Station, an artwork that was launched in honour of the renovated 125 year old historic Amsterdam Central Station. Rainbow Station can be seen every day for a year for a brief moment within an hour after sunset.
Pieces such as Dune and Smart Highway, are tactile high-tech environments in which viewer and space become one. This connection, established between ideology and technology, results in what Roosegaarde calls “techno-poetry”. His often interactive work connects people with art and people with people.
Roosegaarde is a frequent design lecturer, most notably at the Design Indaba Conference in Cape Town in 2013 and TEDxBinnenhof, the World Economic Forum in Davos, and TV guest at De Wereld Draait Door and Zomergasten 2013.
- Daan Roosegaarde CV, Studio Roosegaarde, 2013. Retrieved on 2013-08-19.
- "Studio Roosegaarde | DDW-Shanghai Studio" (in Chinese). dutchdesignworkspace.com.
- "Studio Roosegaarde - Intimacy Dresses". Design Boom. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- "New Dutch Digital Design | DutchDFA". dutchdfa.com. 2010-09-23. Retrieved 2010-09-23.
- "Interactive Landscapes | Daan Roosegaarde, Adele Chong, Timo de Rijk". NAi-publishers. 2010-10-01. Retrieved 2010-10-02.
- "DAAN ROOSEGAARDE "LOTUS 7.0" | Le Cube - Centre de création numérique". lecube.com. 2010-09-24. Retrieved 2010-09-24.
- CNN Starry Night Bike Path,
- Daan Roosegaarde lights up Amsterdam station with rainbow projection
- "Slimme snelwegen met eigen stroom | METRO nieuws, Peter Viering" (in Dutch). metronieuws.nl. 2012-04-05. Retrieved 2012-04-05.
- "Ik voel me als een soort hippie met een businessplan | 7DITCHES-PROFILES, Ronnie Overgoor" (in Dutch). 7ditches.tv. 2012-11-27. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- "INDEX: Award winner Daan Roosegaarde" (in Dutch). http://designtoimprovelife.dk/if-the-road-could-talk-to-you-what-would-it-say/. 2013-06-30. Retrieved 2013-08-29.
- "Studio Roosegaarde wint Dutch Design Award met Flow 5.0" (in Dutch). http://virtueelplatform.nl/nieuws/studio-roosegaarde-wint-dutch-design-award. 2009-10-06. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- "Cultuurfonds kent Charlotte Köhler Prijzen 2012 toe aan Daan Roosegaarde, Shift A+U en Guido van der Werve" (in Dutch). prinsbernhardcultuurfonds.nl. 2012-05-16. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- "Daan Roosegaarde: When innovation and imagination merge". designindaba.com. 2013-03-17. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- (Dutch) (English) "Innovation as a Dutch experience | TED TALK". tedxbinnenhof.com. 2012-06-25. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- World Economic Forum Contributors Daan Roosegaarde
- "Studio Roosegaarde: Daan Roosegaarde | DWDD" (in Dutch). VARA. 2012-11-29. Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- (Dutch) Kunstenaar en ontwerper Daan Roosegaarde, VPRO, 2013. Retrieved on 2013-08-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Daan Roosegaarde.|