Daegu National University of Education
|Daegu National University of Education|
|Motto||Will go a road heading for true teacher with "Wisdom, Pride, Affection"|
|Location||Nam-gu, Daegu, South Korea|
|Nickname||Daegu gyo dae, Gyo dae(Just used in Daegu province)|
|Daegu National University of Education|
|Revised Romanization||Daegu Gyoyuk Daehakgyo|
|McCune–Reischauer||Taegu Kyoyuk Taehakkyo|
Daegu National University of Education, commonly abbreviated as Daegu-gyodae (대구교대) in Korean, is one of National University of Education which provide training courses for preliminary teachers in the public primary school of South Korea.
Founded in 1950, DNUE was previously called Daegu Normal School. Its first president was Kim Young-gi (김영기, 金永驥). In 1963, it was renamed as Daegu Gyoyuk Dae. It concentrated on primary school education, not including secondary school course. It had the last change of name in 1993, taking the name it continues to use today. The current president is Nam Seung-in (남승인), selected in 2011. About 85 instructors are employed by the university.
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 3 Campus
- 4 Facilities
- 5 Student life and activities
- 6 President
- 7 Other
- 8 Notable alumni
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
DNUE is normally considered that it opened as Daegu Normal School at 1950. Although the University is founded in 1950, it is also true, its main former trace is found in 1923 Daegu sabeom haggyo. Daegu sabeom haggyo (大邱師範學敎, 大邱师范学校) established by the Japanese Government-General of Korea for training school instructors.
Historically, the university has always been under national control. It officially began as Daegu Normal School (대구사범학교) in 1950. In 1962, it was briefly attached to Kyungpook National University as a two-year college, but the institutions were separated again the following year. It became a four-year college in 1982 and a university in 1993. The graduate school was established in November 1995.
The university has been called various names with changing for gratifying social needs.
Daegu sabeom haggyo
- Gonglib Daegu sabeom haggyo (公立大邱師範學敎, 공립대구사범학교) in 1923 ~ 1929 (established by government, but operated by local government)
- Guanlib Daegu sabeom haggyo (官立大邱師範學敎, 관립대구사범학교) in 1929 ~ 1944 (operated by government)
- Daegu sabeom haggyo (大邱師範學敎, 대구사범학교) in 1944 (considered as special College)
Daegu Normal University (It was established by merging two similar school)
- Daegu sabeom daehak (大邱師範大學, 대구사범대학) in 1946 (considered as College, it was one college of Kyungpook National University)
- Dolib Gyeongsangbuk-do chodeung-gyowon yangseongso (道立慶尙北道初等敎員養成所, 도립경상북도초등교원양성소) establish in 1949 (it was training school for Elementary school teacher, operated by Gyeongsangbuk-do government)
Daegu National University of Education (1950–present)
- Daegu Gonglib sabeom haggyo(大邱公立師範學敎, 대구공립사범학교) in 1950 (Dolib Gyeongsangbuk-do chodeung-gyowon yangseongso was merged with Daegu sabeom Daehak, commonly called Daegu Normal University)
- Educational College as an annex to Kyungpook National University(慶北大學校竝設敎育大學, 경북대학교병설교육대학) in 1962 with College principal gim-wiseog, 김위석(金渭錫) (Two-year college)
- Daegu National College of Education (大邱敎育大學, 대구교육대학) in 1963 (It was divided with Kyungpook National University)
- Daegu National College of Education (大邱敎育大學, 대구교육대학) in 1982 (four-year College)
- Daegu National University of Education (大邱敎育大學校, 대구교육대학교) in 1998 (four-year university, same as today's name)
As with South Korea's other universities of education, thanks to the school's special purpose training primary-school teacher, DNUE has just one major course as "elementary education". For overtaking Knowledge and information society's changing, However, it opens 12 special course to students. The undergraduate courses of study at DNUE are divided between general education and specific training in teaching. Studying thesis is also required for graduation. Specialized teaching degrees are available in each of the fields which are required to be taught in the country's public schools.
- Department of Ethics Education
- Department of Ethics Education is heading for making teacher who has Elementary Disciplined Life, Ethics Education advantages.
- Department of Korean Language Education
- Department of Korean Language Education is heading for making teacher who has ability to teach Korean Language effectively.
- Department of Social Studies Education.
- Department of Mathematics Education
- Department of Mathematics Education offers fantastic curriculum for teacher who passionately wants to study vast mathematics thesis, teaching methods to educate basic numeracy skills, practical mathematics, abstract mathematical concepts, heuristics and other problem-solving strategies to solve non-routine problems, etc.
- Department of Science Education
- Department of Physical Education
- Department of Music Education
- Department of Practical Arts Education
- Department of Education (It is focusing on Elementary Education)
- Department of English Education
- Department of Computer Education
- Department of Special&Compositive Education
At the graduate level, DNUE's Graduate School has specific objection training high quality's talented Elementary school teacher. Therefore, it has tried to develop its curriculum since the first day of Graduate school. The university offers courses of advanced study in fields of
- Major in Ethical Personality Education
- Major in Elementary Korean Language Education
- Major in Elementary Social Studies Education
- Major in Elementary Mathematics Education
- Major in Elementary Science Education
- Major in Elementary Physical Education
- Major in Elementary Music Education
- Major in Elementary Fine Arts Education
- Major in Elementary Practical Arts Environment Education
- Major in Elementary Educational Administration
- Major in Education Curriculum and Teaching
- Major in Elementary English Education
- Major in Elementary Special Education (designated for the handicapped students)
- Major in Elementary Computer Education
- Major in Preschooler and Infant Education (Early childhood Education)
- Major in Educational Technology
- Major in Elementary Counseling Education
- Major in Elementary Educational Thought
- Major in Gifted And Talented Education (Normally called 'GATE', special education for the gifted)
- Major in Modeling Creation Education
- Major in Children Literature Education
- Major in School Psychology
- Major in TESLOL-YL
- Major in Children Sport Education
- Major in School Psychology
- Major in Multicultural Education
- Major in Children Invention Education
- Major in Substantive Scientific Experiment Education.
DNUE consists of main campus, Education Research and Training Institute, and attached two schools. Main campus is made of 9 buildings including women's dormitory. There isn't Men's dormitory in Main campus, it is located in An-ji-rang station with DNUE's Research and Training Institute.
- Main Campus
- Main campus is located in Nam-gu, Daegu, South Korea. The Nam-gu's main campus, is situated in real core part of Dae-gu city, was finally rooted in 1953. Within 10 minutes from the campus, there are many coffee shops, restaurants, bars, hotels. Korea traditional market(called Yong-seun market 영선 시장, medical center of Yeong-nam University, Kyungpook Art High school and other two universities is very close neighborhood of DNUE. Also, It has its own subway station called Gyo Dae(교대), that means 'Educational University' in Korean language.
- DNUE's Education Research and Training Institute and Boy's dormitory(named as SangRok Seo Jae 상록서재)
- Because of School characteristic point that most of students are girl, Boy's dormitory is located out of Main Campus, with DNUE's Education Research and Training Institute at An-jirang, Nam-gu. The place is 10 to 15 minutes from the Campus by tube.
- From there, with a ten minute, Apsan mountain that is very popular hiking and sightseeing course with Cable car is positioned. Also in Apsan mountain, there is memorial hall for Nakdonggang war's triumph (낙동강 승전 기념관).
- Attached Two school
Public transit access
- Main Campus is served by National University of Education Station of Daegu Subway Line 1. Using Tube is most easiest way to come Campus.
- Airport buses 'Express 1', 401 bus at Airport markets connect the main campus with Daegu International Airport (Both Express 1 & 401 Bus are required transferring at the Jungangno Station in Daegu Subway Line 1)
- There are various Daegu buses that stop by the front gate of the university:
349, 405, 410, 410-1, 503, 649, 805.
Campus facilities include two lecture Halls (gangyidong 강의동), a big playground, two libraries, one science laboratory, the main office, a music lecture hall, an art hall, two gyms (big one and small one), a concert hall (called munhwagwan, 문화관), the student union & cafeteria, a community center, a women's dormitory building, a greenhouse for practical arts education, the security office, two parks, a wooden pavilion, two tennis courts, two volleyball courts, two basketball courts, and a big monument with a carving of the university's motto (normally it is called dong-ddaeng 동땡 among university students).
DNUE main campus Library is fully equipped for helping student as supplying Educational History Hall, perfectly computerized Education reference room, free-opened Meeting Rooms. Furthermore, it recently opens its Facebook page, more freely talking and listening student's opinion.
Student life and activities
There is a big difference in student life from other South Korea universities. Because this university has its own original purpose, it impose considerably strict curriculum on students. They don't have much freedom about class choices compared to other Uuniversities. However, these strict curriculum doesn't mean that, rather than that, courses of university are useless, it is close to make meaningful results with hard-working systems.
Due to the South Korean educational system, elementary school instructors have to teach all subjects, it has only one Undergraduate course. The university not only took opposite ways from education system in South Korea, but also opted for making twelve divided minor departments in one Major for complementing professionalism. It is very common situation among South Korea's educational universities. Then, all of students in DNUE not share perfectly same courses but take almost similar courses.
Department style minor courses also contribute to DNUE's distinctive student culture. Commonly said minor departments as "class" among students, in Korea, it is a word used in Elementary/Middle/High School not in University. And, Once classes are decided, they continue until graduation. They attend and participate almost similar courses(though there are some selective lectures) during four years. It seems that this cultural character naturally gives nice chance to communicate and intimate themselves(who head to be teacher working locally in a future). But there are pros and cons on this question, because someone criticizes that these systematic limits will deprive students of various social experience enjoyments essentially needed for teaching.
University offers multiplex school activities. These are divided into three parts : Club, Festival, Occasional activities.
- Studying and Volunteer service:
- Hanmalgeul (한말글, researching Korean language), Yeongrokhoe (영록회, studying about Educational activities), Ssiddongmu (씨동무, Studying and Volunteer service), Green school green teacher (초록학교 초록교사, Environmental Education about Children, TIME (Studying English), small Jjaijib (작은 짜이집, International volunteer activities), Multicultural Dasom (다문화 다솜, Studying about multicultural society in Education)
- SangRok Literature club (상록문학회, a literary society especially in poetry), Cannes (칸느, Movie), Geulbal (글발, calligraphy), Hwasahoe (화사회, Photography), Jeni (제니, Animation)
- CCC (Korea Campus Crusade for Christ, 韓國大學生宣敎會), IVF (Korea Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship, 韓國基督學生會), SFC (Student For Christ), SU (Seongseo Union for Christ), Neongkul (넝쿨, meaning "vine"; Catholic club), balamil (바라밀, meaning "paramita"; Buddhism club)
- Purimadang (푸리마당, Korean traditional percussion band), the dramatic art research group (극예술연구회), Siselpapi (시셀파피, acoustic guitar), Evergreen (에버그린, rock band), DNUE's Orchestra group, Eoullim (어울림, traditional Korean orchestral music club), harmony (choir), bi (비, Dance)
- Sports :
- Baekgu (백구, tennis), Jeoktoma (적토마, football), Subyeokta (수벽타, taekwondo), Daseot (다섯, meaning "five"; basketball club), Attack line (volleyball), Hit&Run (baseball), Aisarang Suyeongsarang (아이사랑 수영사랑, "love children and like swimming")
- Union Clubs and Provisional Clubs
- SeuWing, RCY, Unipeace, CMI, Hwabaekhoe-ui (화백회의, history research)
- Daegu National University of Education Broadcasting System
- There is big festival called Daedongke (대동제, 大同祭) each year.
- Children's Day (every year May 5) Festival is also warmly welcomed, commonly it is operated with local children and University students.
- Welcoming Party for fresher at last week on February.
- All of departures have their unique occasional parties and meetings.
The following table is a list of presidents of Daegu National University of Education.
|College Principal||Years as Principal||Notes:|
|1||Kim Wi-seok||1963.03.01 - 1969.07.02||Professor|
|College Principal||Years as Principal||Notes:|
|1||Kim Wi-seok||1963.01.01 - 1969.07.02||Professor|
|2||Kim Wi-seok||1969.07.03 - 1973.07.02||Professor|
|3||Jang Gi-hwan||1973.07.02 - 1977.07.02||Professor|
|4||Jang Gi-hwan||1977.07.03 - 1981.07.02||Professor|
|No Jeong-sig||1981.07.03 - 1981.07.20||Professor, acting College Principal|
|5||Bae Yong-gwang||1981.07.21 - 1982.02.28||Ph.D|
|Principal||Years as Principal||Notes:|
|6||Bae Yong-gwang||1982.03.01 - 1986.02.28|
|7||Gim Jong-hwan||1986.03.01 - 1990.02.28||Ph.D|
|8||Bag Tae-am||1990.03.01 - 1994.02.28||Ph.D|
|President||Years as President||Notes:|
|9||No Jeong-sig||1994.03.01 - 1998.02.28||Ph.D|
|10||Jeong Gwan||1998.03.01 - 2002.02.28||Ph.D|
|11||Jang I-gwon||2002.03.01 - 2006.02.28||Ph.D|
|12||Gang Hyeon-ug||2006.03.01 - 2007.07.31||Ph.D|
|Hong Gi-chil||2007.08.01 - 2007.12.02||Ph.D, acting President|
|13||Son Seog-lag||2007.12.03 - 2011.12.02||Ph.D|
|14||Nam Seung-in||2012.12.03 -||Ph.D|
By supporting a global education human resources training program under the motto "Education to the world; the world to our classrooms", DNUE is achieving global education for the Global era.
- List of colleges and universities in South Korea
- List of Korea-related topics
- Education in South Korea