Daewoo Mangalia Heavy Industries
|Industry||Ship building, ship conversion and repair|
|Jang Yoon Keun, President
Paul Ilicenco, Vice-President
|Products||Vessels, Bulk carriers, Container ships, PCTC|
|Revenue||US$ 700 mln (2008)|
|US$ 35 mln (2008)|
Number of employees
|Parent||Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering|
Daewoo-Mangalia Heavy Industries or DMHI is a large shipyard located 45 kilometres (28 mi) south of the Port of Constanţa, in Mangalia, Romania. It was formed in 1997 as a joint venture between South Korean company Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering and the 2 Mai Shipyard in Mangalia. Since it was founded the company built over 127 new ships and repaired around 300 ships.
The shipyard is spread over an area of 980,000 square metres (10,500,000 sq ft), has three dry docks with a total length of 982 metres (3,222 ft) and 1.6 kilometres (0.99 mi) of berths. In 2002 the company delivered two tankers of 42,500 DWT to the Norwegian company Kleven Floro used for the transportation of orange juice. One of the main customers of the shipyard is the German company Hamburg Süd which ordered six container ships of around 6,000 TEU each, and seven ships of 7,100 TEU each as well as four tugboats. The company also signed in 2005 an agreement with Mediterranean Shipping Company S.A., NSB, Gebab and Conti companies for the construction of 12 container ships of around 5,000 TEU each that will be delivered in stages until 2011 at a total cost of US$1.1 billion.
In 2008 the shipyard bought the largest gantry crane in North America, the Goliath Crane, formerly located in Quincy, Massachusetts, from the General Dynamics company. Built in 1975, the crane, nicknamed Goliath, Big Blue, The Dog or Horse, has a height of 100 metres (330 ft), a span of 126 metres (413 ft), a weight of 3,000 tonnes (6,600,000 lb) and a lifting capacity of 1,200 tonnes (2,600,000 lb). The cranes's re-assembly has been under way since March 2009.
- "Daewoo Mangalia Heavy Industries estimeaza" (in Romanian). Financiarul. 2008-05-30. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "Daewoo-Mangalia Heavy Industries". Daewoo-Mangalia Heavy Industries. 2009-02-14. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "Message". Daewoo-Mangalia Heavy Industries. 2009-02-14. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "GENERAL LAYOUT & MAIN FACILITIES". Daewoo-Mangalia Heavy Industries. 2009-02-14. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "Santierul naval Daewoo Mangalia livreaza Norvegiei al doilea tanc de 42.500 tdw" (in Romanian). Adevarul. 2002-11-02. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "DMHI a livrat portcontainerul de 4.860 TEU, MSC Monterey" (in Romanian). Cuget Liber. 2008-09-05. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "Progress in Romania". Sackrabbit. 2009-02-14. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "Technical Specifications". Sackrabbit. 2009-02-14. Retrieved 2009-02-14.