Dag Øistein Endsjø
Dag Øistein Endsjø (born 11 November 1968 in Ann Arbor, Michigan) is a Norwegian professor in religious studies at the University of Bergen, Norway. and a human rights advocate. He is primarily known for his book Sex and Religion: Teachings and Taboos in the History of World Faiths, which has been published in English, Bulgarian, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Serbian, and Swedish, and for his book Greek Resurrection Beliefs and the Success of Christianity, which demonstrates how Christian resurrection beliefs also connects to ancient Greek beliefs in resurrection and physical immortality. Besides the subject of ancient Greek religion, early Christianity, and sex and religion, Endsjø has written extensively on the subjects religion and human rights, religion and popular culture, and cultural understanding of space. He also writes extensively on a variety of political and popularized subjects in Norwegian media.
As a human rights advocate, Endsjø has contributed to change the Norwegian debate on equal rights into a general discussion of human rights. From 2004 to 2013, Endsjø was the leader of Menneskerettsalliansen, the Norwegian Human Rights Alliance.
- Sex and Religion: Teachings and Taboos in the History of World Faiths. Reaktion Books 2011. ISBN 978-1-86189-815-9. This book is also published in Bulgarian, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Serbian and Swedish.
- Det folk vil ha. Religion og populærkultur (What People Want. Religion and Popular Culture) (written together with Liv Ingeborg Lied). Oslo: Universitetsforlaget 2011. ISBN 978-82-15-01748-8
- Greek Resurrection Beliefs and the Success of Christianity. New York: Palgrave Macmillan 2009.
- Primordial Landscapes, Incorruptible Bodies. New York: Peter Lang 2008.
- Naturlig sex. Seksualitet og kjønn i den kristne antikken (co-editor with Halvor Moxnes and Jostein Børtnes). Oslo: Gyldendal Akademisk 2002.
- Lei av kjønn? Nær-kjønn-opplevelser og andre beretninger fra virkeligheten (co-editor with Helge Svare). Oslo: Cappelen Akademisk Forlag 2001.
Other publications (selection)
- “Immortal bodies, Before Christ. Bodily continuity in ancient Greece and 1 Corinthians”. Journal for the Study of the New Testament, vol. 30, 2008: 417-36.
- “The queer periphery. Sexual deviancy and the cultural understanding of space” i Journal of Homosexuality, vol. 54, 2008: 9-20.
- “Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights and the religious relativism of human rights”. Human Rights Review, vol. 6:2, 2005: 102-10.
- “To control death. Sacrifice and space in classical Greece”. Religion, vol. 33/4, 2003: 323-340.
- “To lock up Eleusis. A question of liminal space”. Numen, vol. 47, 2000: 351-86.
- “Placing the Unplaceable. The Making of Apollonius’s Argonautic Geography”. Greek, Roman and Byzantine Studies, vol 38. 1997: 373-85.
- University of Bergen Page on Dag Øistein Endsjø
- Endsjø at MacMillan
- Даг Ойстейн Ендсьо. Сексът и религията. Персей/Perseus 2012.
- Tra sesso e castità. Un viaggio fra dogmi e tabù nelle religioni del mondi. Odoya 2012.
- Sex og religion. Fra jomfruball til hellig homosex. Universitetsforlaget 2009.
- Seks a religia. Od balu dziewic po święty seks homoseksualny . Czarnaowca 2011.
- Dag Ejstejn Endše. Seks i religia. Karpos 2010.
- Sex och religion. Från kyskhetsbal till heligt homosex. Norstedts 2011.