Daggertooth pike conger
|Daggertooth pike conger|
Muraena cinerea Forsskål, 1775
The dagger-tooth pike conger or conger pike, Muraenesox cinereus, is a type of eel. They live on soft bottoms down to a depth of about 100 metres (330 ft). They commonly reach length of 150 cm (4.9 ft), but may grow as long as 200 cm (6.6 ft). It occurs in the Red Sea, on the coast of the northern Indian Ocean, and in the East Pacific from Indochina to Japan. It has also invaded the Mediterranean through the Suez Canal.
Dagger-tooth pike conger is a major commercial species, with annual catches reaching about 350,000 tonnes in recent years. The countries reporting the largest landings were China and Taiwan. It is a traditional food in Japanese cuisine, where it is known as hamo (ハモ, 鱧).
Conger pike meat has been used as a co-ingredient in creating crab stick.
As other fish, the dagger-tooth pike conger harbours several species of parasites.
A species of trichosomoidid nematode which parasitizes the muscles of the fish off Japan has been described in 2014 and named Huffmanela hamo, in reference to the Japanese name of the fish. Accumulations of eggs of the parasite are visible as 1-2 mm black spots in the flesh of the fish. The parasite is rare and the consumption of infected fish meat has no consequences for humans.
- "Muraenesox cinereus". Integrated Taxonomic Information System.
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2012). "Muraenesox cinereus" in FishBase. September 2012 version.
- "Muraenesox cinereus (Forsskal, 1775)". Species Fact Sheets. FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Department. 2012.
- Davidson, Alan (2003). Seafood of South-East Asia: a comprehensive guide with recipes. Ten Speed Press. p. 34. ISBN 1-58008-452-4.
- Justine, J.-L. & Iwaki, T. 2014: Huffmanela hamo sp. n. (Nematoda: Trichosomoididae: Huffmanelinae) from the dagger-tooth pike conger Muraenesox cinereus off Japan. Folia Parasitologica, 61, 267–271 doi:10.14411/fp.2014.029 Free PDF
|This Anguilliformes article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|