|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2009)|
Facelifted first generation Toyota Avanza with front bumper spoiler
|Manufacturer||Astra Daihatsu Motor (Indonesia)
Perodua Manufacturing Sdn. Bhd (Malaysia) (first generation)
FAW Jilin (China) (first generation) 
Toyota Astra Motor (first generation)
|Also called||Daihatsu Xenia
FAW Senya M80/S80 (China)
|Assembly||Sunter, North Jakarta, Indonesia
Santa Rosa, Laguna, Philippines
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||5-door MPV|
1.0 L I3 VVT-i 
1.3 L I4 VVT-i
1.5 L I4 VVT-i
The Toyota Avanza is a mini MPV designed by Daihatsu. It is produced in Indonesia and also contract assembled in Malaysia (under Perodua) for the first generation. Daihatsu designed and manufactures the vehicle, which is then sold by both Daihatsu and Toyota under Xenia and Avanza name plate respectively. Daihatsu supplies the vehicle to Toyota under a consigned production and OEM manufacturing agreement. The car was launched at the Gaikindo Auto Expo in 2003 and sold over 100,000 units that year. The name "Avanza" was taken from the Italian word avanzato, which means "advance".
The Avanza is a new model developed as an entry-level MPV. Its spiritual predecessor was the Toyota Kijang, whose model program has since been split to two different models (the other being the larger, more expensive Toyota Innova) to expand Toyota's reach in the MPV sector. The Avanza has similar to the Kijang's rural road-capable, rear wheel drive, body-on-frame design.
In addition to Indonesia and Malaysia, the Avanza is sold in Philippines, Thailand, Brunei, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Lebanon, Mexico, Peru, Egypt, and various other African countries. A rebadged version of the car is sold in China under the FAW badge until 2010.
Introduced in December 2003, the model is a five-door MPV with a FR layout. It features a 1.3-litre K3-VE gasoline inline-four engine with a maximum output of 92 PS (68 kW; 91 hp) at 6,000 rpm, and a 1.5-litre SZ-VE gasoline engine that produces 109 PS (80 kW; 108 hp) at 6,000 rpm.
First generation (2003–2011)
Toyota Avanza (Mexico)
|Wheelbase||2,655 mm (104.5 in)|
|Length||4,120 mm (162.2 in)|
|Width||1,630 mm (64.2 in)|
|Height||1,695 mm (66.7 in)|
When the Avanza was first launch in Indonesia, booking when up to six month and was available in two different models: 1.3E and 1.3G. The Avanza later became known as one of the best selling cars in Indonesia.
The Avanza was restyled near the end of the third quarter of 2006 with a new grille, new bumpers, a new interior, and new front and rear lamps. The 2006 model Avanza 1.5 S also has a new engine, a 1.5-litre 16-valve DOHC VVT-i gasoline engine (similar to the Toyota Rush) along with the new ABS braking system. The 1.3E and 1.3G models given a new 1.3-litre 16-valve DOHC VVT-i gasoline engine.
In the Philippines, the Avanza has been offered since 2006 with 2 trim levels: a 'J' line with a 1.3 I3 engine, and having no power windows and locks, and only available with a manual transmission, while the 'G' line has a 1.5 engine, power features mated to a 5-speed manual transmission or a 4-speed automatic transmission. In 2008, the J line was made available without the third row seat. This particular line is popularly used as metered taxicabs in the Philippines; although it is often mistaken as an end-to-end passenger vehicle, like its Tamaraw FX (Kijang) and Revo ancestors.
The Avanza was updated in 2008 with a new ceiling with grooves to improve airflow to the rear and a new interior colour scheme.
The Avanza has folding seats in the back, forming a third row of seats.
Second generation (2011–present)
|Wheelbase||2,655 mm (104.5 in)|
|Length||4,140 mm (163.0 in)|
|Width||1,660 mm (65.4 in)|
|Height||1,695 mm (66.7 in)|
The next generation of Avanza featured with increased dimensions and a more passenger car like design and has launched on November 7, 2011 in Jakarta, Indonesia. Available in series E, G, and the most expensive model, Veloz. For Daihatsu, the model same like Avanza, but cheaper than Avanza. Until March 31, 2012 the new models are most demanding.
The 1.3 E does not come with fog lamps. The 1.3 G, 1.5 G and the 1.5 Veloz comes with fog lamps. The 1.5 version of Toyota Avanza in Indonesia (1.5 G & Veloz) has an outer mirror with turning signal lamp. The new Avanza Veloz is available in 4 colours: White, Dark Steel Mica, Sliver Mica Metallic and Maroon Mica. The Avanza 1.3E, 1.3G, & 1.5G, have more colors : Light Blue Metallic, Maroon Mica, Gray Metallic, & Champagne Metallic.
- The 1.3E does not come with an audio unit, the 1.3G comes with 1 DIN audio system with radio, CD, & MP3. The 1.5L version of Avanza has got an in-dash audio system. The 1.5G comes with 2 DIN audio system with radio, CD, & MP3. The Avanza Veloz has the same audio unit with 1.5G, but with additional steering switches, USB & AUX input. All models has Multi Information Display. All variants of the 2nd generation of Avanza have a tilt steering system. On May 2013 Toyota added Dual SRS Airbags to increase the safety features in all the Avanza lineups.
The all-new 2012 Avanza with increased dimensions and a new "fun" design has also been launched in the Philippines this January 13, 2012. The all-new Avanza's design gives it a more upscale, high-tech look than that of its plebeian-looking predecessor.
Models available in Malaysia are the 1.3E, 1.5E, 1.5G, 1.5S (known in Indonesia as the Veloz).
- The 1.3 E and 1.5 E does not came with fog lamp. The 1.5 G and the 1.5 S come with fog lamps. The 1.3 E, 1.5 E and 1.5 G are available with 4 colours: White, Dark Steel Mica, Sliver Mica Metallic and Maroon Mica. The 1.5 S is only available in 3 colours: White, Dark Steel Mica and Sliver Mica Metallic.
- The 1.3 E comes with a 1-DIN Head Unit with CD player, Tuner radio. The 1.5 E comes with a 2-DIN Head Unit with Tuner, CD player, MP3, WMA, AUX-Jack, USB, iPod Compatibility radio. For the 1.3 E steering wheel, it is a 3-spoke, Urethane, Fixed steering wheel. The 1.5 E steering wheel is a 3-spoke, Urethane, Tilt steering wheel. The 1.5 G and 1.5 S steering wheel comes with a 3-spoke, Urethane, Tilt, with Audio Switch, Silver Ornament.
The Avanza's twin model is the Daihatsu Xenia, powered by the 1.3-litre EFI similar to the Avanza's, and a three-cylinder 1.0-litre with power and torque rating at 63 PS (46 kW; 62 hp) at 5,600 rpm and 92 N·m (68 lb·ft) at 3,600 rpm.
In China, Daihatsu together with First Automobile Works (FAW) launch the first generation Xenia as FAW-Jilin Senya S80 SUV on 21 June 2007. Production in China is carried out at FAW Jilin Auto until 2010. The Daihatsu Xenia uses the 1.3 and 1.5-litre EFI engines similar to the Avanza's.
Currently, the Xenia is sold in Indonesia only.
The second generation Xenia was launched together with the new Avanza.
- Xenia 1000 cc D MT
- Xenia 1000 cc M MT
- Xenia 1300 cc X MT
- Xenia 1300 cc R MT/AT
|Dashboard color||2-tone (dark grey and grey)||2-tone (dark grey and beige)||2-tone (dark grey and beige)||2-tone (dark grey and beige)|
|Door trim||molded||molded with fabric||molded with fabric||molded with fabric|
|Luggage & deck trim||board||board||board||molded|
|AC register knob||yes||yes||yes||yes with chrome ornament|
|Sun visor||yes||yes||yes||yes with passenger side mirror|
|Air conditioner||single blower||single blower||double blower||double blower|
|Odometer/tripmeter||Yes (digital)||Yes (digital)||Yes (digital)||Yes (digital)|
|Clock||Yes (digital integrated in meter combination)||Yes (digital integrated in meter combination)||Yes (digital integrated in meter combination)||Yes (digital integrated in meter combination)|
|One touch tumble||Yes (2nd row seats only)||Yes (2nd row seats only)||Yes (2nd row seats only)||Yes (2nd row seats only)|
|Seat slide function||Yes (1 st row seat)||√ (1 st & 2nd row seat)||√ (1 st & 2nd row seat)||√ (1 st & 2nd row seat)|
|Separate back seat (3rd row seat)||Yes (50:50)||Yes (50:50)||Yes (50:50)||Yes (50:50)|
|Seat back pocket||no||no||no||no|
- "Tycho" (2010-05-05). "Beijing Auto Show 2010: FAW-Jilin Senya S80 SUV". TheTycho.com. Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- 于声远 (Yu Sheng-Yuan) (2009-09-03). "售价5.49–7.79万元 一汽森雅M80上市". Autohome.com.cn. Retrieved 2010-03-30.(Chinese)
- 章宁 (Zhang Ning) (腾讯汽车 (Tencent Qiche)) (2010-06-02). "下半年上市 一汽森雅S80无伪装谍照曝<光". Autohome.com.cn. Retrieved 2010-07-07.(Chinese)
- "Daihatsu Xenia VVT-i". Astra Daihatsu.
- "Daihatsu & Toyota Announce Dual-model Debut for Indonesia". Daihatsu.com. 2003-12-11. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Daihatsu 2010 Annual report". Daihatsu Motor Co.
- "Toyota Avanza to released in Indonesia with dual SRS Airbags". PT Astra International Toyota - Auto2000. Juli 7, 2011.
- "Xenia-Avanza Generasi Kedua Siap Ulang Sukses". November 7, 2011.
- "Daihatsu Xenia VVT-i, More Elegant, More Luxury, and More Powerful". Daihatsu.com. 2006-07-12. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Toyota Motors Philippines – avanza". Toyota.com.ph. 2012-01-13.
- "Toyota launches all-new Avanza". TopGear Philippines. 2012-01-13. Retrieved 2011-01-13.
- "New Models from the 2010 Guangzhou Auto Show (4): FAW Xenia (Senya) S80". ChinaAutoWeb.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Toyota Avanza.|
- Official Avanza site Indonesia
- Official Avanza site Thailand
- Official Avanza site Philippines
- Official Avanza site for Africa (all countries)
- Official Avanza site South Africa
- Official Avanza site México
- Astra Daihatsu
|« previous — Daihatsu road vehicle timeline, 1980s–2010s|
|Leeza||Mira Gino||Mira Gino/Trevis||Mira Cocoa|
|Subcompact car||Mira Gino 1000||Ayla|
|Sports car||Leeza Spider||Copen|
|Pyzar/Gran Move||Pyzar/Gran Move||Xenia||Xenia|
|Mini SUV||Terios Kid|
|Commercial vehicle||Delta Van||Delta Van||Delta Van||Zebra|
|Hijet Gran Cargo/Extol||Gran Max|