March 30, 1896
|Died||March 7, 2010
(aged 113 years, 342 days)
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Cause of death
Oldest living African-Americanand Oldest living Michigan resident
Daisey Bailey (née Flowers; March 30, 1896 – March 7, 2010) was an African-American supercentenarian, who at the age of 113 years and 342 days, was the fourth oldest person in the world and the third oldest living person in the United States. Coincidentally, Mary Josephine Ray, who had held the title of being the oldest living person in the United States and second oldest in the world, died just a few hours before Bailey. She became the oldest black person in the world upon the death of 114-year-old Maggie Renfro on 22 January 2010. Bailey became one of the 100 verified oldest women ever on 13 October 2009. She was one of the 100 verified oldest people ever from December 16, 2009, until April 30, 2013.
Bailey, then aged just 14, married 20-year-old Will Ready in 1910. Ready died in the 1930s. Bailey worked on a plantation and did housework and cutting wood. After living in Wilson County all of her life, she moved to Pontiac, Michigan in 1943.
She moved into 25-year-old Helen Walker's residence in 1953 to help raise her young children. In the 1990s, Bailey moved in with her 73-year-old granddaughter Helen Arnold, and lived in Detroit, Michigan, till her death.
She credited her longevity to always praying, loving, forgiving, and eating vegetables.
Bailey died 23 days short of her 114th birthday on March 7, 2010 at the age of 113 years and 342 days. The cause of death was reported as organ failure. The death left Mississippi Winn as the verified oldest living African American until her death on January 14, 2011.
- List of American supercentenarians
- List of supercentenarians from the United States
- List of the verified oldest people
- List of the verified oldest women
- – Two of the oldest people in the world die on the same day – Yahoo! News
- Validated Living Supercentenarians
- "Daisey Bailey, born 30 March 1895: possible match". World's Oldest People. 2008-01-16. Retrieved 2010-02-13.
- Damron, Gina (2008-03-29). "State's oldest person to turn 113 on Sunday". Detroit. Retrieved 2010-02-13.
- "Detroit Woman Has 113th B-Day!". ABC 13. 2008-03-31. Retrieved 2010-02-13.
- World's Oldest People website
- Report on the death of Daisey Bailey