Dakota (given name)
|Meaning||"friend", "friendly" or "allies"|
|Related names||Dakotah, Dacotah, Dakoda, Lakota, Nakota|
|Look up Dakota in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Dakota is a given name derived from the name of two states in the United States: North Dakota or South Dakota, or from the name of an indigenous Native American tribe. The name is translated to mean "friend", "friendly" or "allies" in the Yankton-Yanktonai and Santee dialects of the Lakota Sioux language.
Dakota is in use for both girls and boys. It was the 203rd most popular name for American boys in 2007, having ranked in the top 100 most popular names from 1995 to 2000. It first appeared among the top 1,000 most popular names for boys in the United States in 1985. It was the 239th most popular name for American girls in 2007. It has ranked among the top 400 names for American girls since 1991. The name has been in occasional use for both sexes in the United States since at least the 1940s.
People with the name
- Dakota Abberton, Australian surfer
- Dakota Brant (born 1987), Canadian volunteer
- Dakota Darsow (born 1987), American professional wrestler
- Dakota Fanning (born 1994), American actress
- Dakota Floeter (born 1994), American actor and musician
- Dakota Goyo (born 1999), Canadian actor
- Dakota Johnson (born 1989), American model and actress
- Dakota Lane, American author
- Dakota Meyer, United States Marine and Medal of Honor recipient
- Dakota Morton (born 1988), Canadian radio host
- Dakota North (speedway rider) (born 1991), Australian speedway rider
- Dakota Blue Richards (born 1994), English actress
- Dakota Staton (1930–2007), American jazz singer
- Dakota Chapman (born 1995), Son of Leland Chapman
- Dakota North (comics), a fictional Marvell Comics character.
- Dakota, a character in Total Drama: Revenge of the Island, the fourth season of the Total Drama series