Johnson on the set of Fifty Shades of Grey
|Born||Dakota Mayi Johnson
October 4, 1989
Austin, Texas, U.S.
Dakota Mayi Johnson (born October 4, 1989) is an American actress and model, best known for being cast in the lead role of Anastasia "Ana" Steele in Fifty Shades of Grey, set for release in 2015. She is the daughter of actors Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith.
Johnson was born in Austin, Texas, the daughter of actor Don Johnson and actress Melanie Griffith. On her mother's side, she is a granddaughter of advertising executive and former child actor Peter Griffith and Golden Globe-winning actress Tippi Hedren, and half-niece of actress Tracy Griffith and production designer Clay A. Griffith. Her former stepfather is Antonio Banderas. She has six half-siblings; four on her father's side and two on her mother's side.
A third-generation Hollywood actress, Johnson attended Aspen Community School in Aspen, Colorado. She later attended Santa Catalina School in Monterey, California for her freshman year of high school before transferring to the New Roads School in Santa Monica, California. She was an avid dancer as a child. She became interested in modeling at age 12 after a photo shoot with other children of celebrities for Teen Vogue.
In 1999, Johnson made her film debut in Crazy in Alabama where she and her half-sister, Stella Banderas, played daughters to their real-life mother, Melanie Griffith. The film was directed by her then-stepfather, Antonio Banderas.
Once Johnson graduated from high school, she signed with the William Morris Agency and started her acting career. She appeared in the critical and box office hit The Social Network which was directed by David Fincher. She has also appeared in Beastly; Ezna Sands' film Theo; So Yong Kim's film For Ellen. In 2012, she had roles in Christopher Neil's film Goats, with David Duchovny; Nicholas Stoller's film The Five-Year Engagement for producer Judd Apatow, and the successful feature film version of the television series 21 Jump Street. She also played the female lead in Chris Nelson's film Date and Switch written by Alan Yang.
In March 2012, Johnson was cast as Kate in the Fox comedy series Ben and Kate, marking her television debut. The show was cancelled on January 25, 2013 after one season. Johnson quickly resumed her film career, and appeared in Need for Speed (2014). She also has been cast in the modern-day film adaptation of William Shakespeare's Cymbeline titled Anarchy.
In 2013, she made a cameo appearance as one of the new hires on the "Finale" episode of The Office. Johnson plays Anastasia "Ana" Steele in the upcoming film adaptation of Fifty Shades of Grey, set for release in 2015.
In 2014, she reunited with her 21 Jump Street cast member Johnny Depp playing the mother of his child in the feature film Black Mass. She will star in and executive produce the film Forever, Interrupted, playing a young widow. Johnson has also signed to appear in I Am Love, an English-language remake of the 1969 French film La Piscine.
In 2006, Johnson signed with IMG Models. Though acting is her primary work, she has since modeled for MANGO brand's jeans line in 2009 and shot the "Rising Star" campaign for Australian fashion label Wish in 2011.
|1999||Crazy in Alabama||Sondra|
|2010||Social Network, TheThe Social Network||Amelia Ritter|
|2012||For Ellen||Cindy Taylor|
|2012||21 Jump Street||Fugazy|
|2012||Five-Year Engagement, TheThe Five-Year Engagement||Audrey|
|2014||Date and Switch||Em|
|2014||Need for Speed||Anita|
|2015||Fifty Shades of Grey||Anastasia "Ana" Steele|
|2015||Black Mass||Lindsey Cyr||Filming|
|2012–2013||Ben and Kate||Kate Fox||Main cast; 16 episodes|
|2013||Office, TheThe Office||Dakota||Episode: "Finale"|
- "Dakota Johnson: Biography". TVGuide.com. Retrieved September 2, 2013.
- "Melanie Griffith and Dakota Johnson – Like Mother, Like Daughter – Hollywood's Hottest Moms". InStyle. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "Interview". Aspen Peak (Winter 2008/Spring 2009). p. 146. Archived from the original on 12 April 2010. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "Dakota Mayi Johnson's Profile, Biography & Heritage". Katagogi. 2014. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- Rodrick, Stephen (11 March 2014). "Dakota Johnson on 'Fifty Shades of Grey'". Elle. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- Dakota Johnson spotted holding hands with Matthew Hitt - UPI.com
- "Miss/Mr. Golden Globe". HFPA. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "Dakota Johnson Selected as 2006 Miss Golden Globe at 63rd Annual Golden Globe Awards to Be Telecast Live on NBC on Jan. 16; First Daughter of a Former Miss Golden Globe Ever to Be Chosen". Findarticles.com. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "MANGO blog". Mango.com. October 14, 2011. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "Dakota Johnson". Thelast-magazine.com. October 25, 2010. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "Dakota Johnson". Interview Magazine. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- Kroll, Justin (May 3, 2011). "Dakota Johnson books trio of roles". Variety. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- Kroll, Justin (August 9, 2011). "Dakota Johnson woos 'Gay Dude'". Variety. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 23, 2012). "Dakota Johnson Cast As The Lead Of Fox Comedy Pilot 'Ned Fox Is My Manny'". Deadline.com. PMC. Retrieved September 11, 2013.
- O'Connell, Michael (January 25, 2013). "Fox Officially Cancels 'Ben and Kate,' Shuts Down Production". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved September 11, 2013.
- Puchko, Kristy (7 February 2013). "Ben And Kate's Dakota Johnson Feels The Need For Speed". Cinema Blend. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "Anton Yelchin & Dakota Johnson Set for Modern Day CYMBELINE Film Adaptation - BWWMoviesWorld". Broadwayworld.com. 2013-08-19. Retrieved 2013-09-08.
- Schaefer, Stephen (5 April 2014). "Johnny Depp talks "Whitey"". Boston Herald. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- Fifth Shades of Grey Dakota Johnson Forever: Interrupted | Variety
- "Wish". Wish. Retrieved October 18, 2011.