|Mol. mass||1755.634 g/mol|
|(what is this?)|
Dalbavancin (INN, trade name Zeven) is a novel second-generation lipoglycopeptide antibiotic. It belongs to the same class as vancomycin, the most widely used and one of the few treatments available to patients infected with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).
It possesses in vitro activity against a variety of Gram-positive pathogens including MRSA and MRSE. It is a once-weekly, two-dose antibiotic that Pfizer acquired when it bought Vicuron Pharmaceuticals in 2005.
Dalbavancin has undergone a phase III clinical trial for adults with complicated skin infections, but in Dec 2007 the FDA said more data was needed before approval. On September 9, 2008, Pfizer announced that it will withdraw all marketing applications in order to conduct another Phase 3 clinical trial. Durata Therapeutics acquired the rights to dalbavancin in December 2009 and has initiated two new Phase III clinical trials for treatment of acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections. Preliminary results in Dec 2012 looked good.
References and notes
- Vicuron Pharmaceuticals Submits New Drug Application for Dalbavancin to U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Scheinfeld NS. (May 2006). "Dalbavancin: A review for dermatologists.". Dermatology Online Journal 12 (6). Unknown parameter
|numero=ignored (help) PMID 17083861
- Chen AY, Zervos MJ, Vazquez JA (2007). "Dalbavancin: a novel antimicrobial". Int. J. Clin. Pract. 61 (5): 853–63. doi:10.1111/j.1742-1241.2007.01318.x. PMC 1890846. PMID 17362476.
- Das B, Sarkar C, Biswas R, Pandey S (2008). "Review: dalbavancin-a novel lipoglycopeptide antimicrobial for gram positive pathogens". Pak J Pharm Sci 21 (1): 78–88. PMID 18166524.
- Dalbavancin: A Novel Lipoglycopeptide Antibacterial
- UPDATE 1-Pfizer says US FDA wants more data on antibiotic. Dec 2007
- "Pfizer Will Withdraw Global Marketing Applications for Dalbavancin to Conduct a New Trial" (Press release). Pfizer Inc. 2008-09-09. Retrieved 2008-09-11.
- Durata Begins Dalbavancin Study Enrollment. Drug Discovery & Development - October 05, 2011.
- Durata Therapeutics Announces Phase 3 Clinical Trial Results for Dalbavancin in the Treatment of ABSSSI