Dale Crover performs at Toad's Place in October 2006
|Born||October 23, 1967|
|Origin||Aberdeen, Washington, United States|
|Genres||Sludge metal, grunge, hardcore punk, doom metal, stoner metal|
|Occupations||Musician, composer, engineer, producer|
|Instruments||Drums, vocals, guitar, bass, keyboards, percussion, sitar|
|Associated acts||Acid King, Honky (band), Altamont, Fantômas, Fecal Matter, Hank Williams III, Melvins, Men of Porn, Nirvana, Shrinebuilder|
Dale Crover (born October 23, 1967) is an American rock musician. Crover is best known as the drummer for Melvins and Men of Porn, Shrinebuilder, and for a brief time, drummer for Nirvana. He is also guitarist and vocalist for Altamont. He has also toured with Fantômas, filling in for Dave Lombardo.
Melvins recruited Crover on drums in 1984 from out of an Iron Maiden cover band, following (original drummer) Mike Dillard's departure. In late 1985 Crover played bass in Fecal Matter, a band he formed with Kurt Cobain and Greg Hokanson. After Hokanson left the band, Cobain and Crover recorded Illiteracy Will Prevail on a 4-track in December 1985 at Cobain's aunt's home in Seattle, Washington. Crover played bass and drums on the demo. Spank Thru from this demo appears on the Nirvana album Sliver: The Best of the Box. Fecal Matter disbanded in 1986.
Crover drummed on Nirvana's ten-song demo recorded January 23, 1988 at Reciprocal Recording Studios in Seattle. Nine of these songs have been officially released:
- Floyd the Barber, Paper Cuts and Downer — Bleach
- Downer, Aero Zeppelin, Beeswax, Hairspray Queen and Mexican Seafood — Incesticide
- If You Must and Pen Cap Chew — With the Lights Out
Nirvana and Crover played a 14-song show in Tacoma, Washington, the night of the demo session. Three cuts from the show — Downer, Floyd the Barber and Raunchola/Moby Dick — appear on With the Lights Out. Later in 1988 Crover and Melvins' bandmate Buzz Osborne relocated to San Francisco, California.
Crover rejoined Nirvana during a short west coast tour with Sonic Youth in August 1990. In April the following year Crover drummed on a demo version of Drain You with Cobain on guitar and vocals and Dave Grohl on bass. The track appears on With the Lights Out.
In 1994, Crover founded the band Altamont with Joey Osbourne and Dan Southwick of Acid King. He produced and performed additional vocals on Acid King's debut release that year. During this time he was also married to Acid King's frontwoman Lori S., but they divorced.
He lives in Los Angeles with his wife, Maureen, their daughter, Scarlett, and their son, Cassius.
- Buzz Osborne. "Liner Notes to Mangled Demos from 1983". Ipecac Recordings. May 31, 2005.
- Gillian Gaar. "Nirvana Timeline, Booklet to With the Lights Out". Geffen Records/Universal Music Group. November 23, 2004.
- Michael Azerrad. "Come as You Are: The Story of Nirvana". Doubleday, 1993. ISBN 0-385-47199-8.
- Live Nirvana: Studio session: January 23, 1988.
- Live Nirvana, Tour history: January 23, 1988.
- Nirvana Live Guide, August 1990 tour (08/16/90-08/25/90).
|Nirvana Drummer (two stints)