Jan Pol windmill
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Dalen (Dutch Low Saxon: Daolen) is an old village and a former municipality in the northeastern Netherlands, in the province of Drenthe. Since 1998, Dalen has been part of the municipality of Coevorden.
There are many shops and restaurants, bakeries and a pub called the D'aolle Bakkerij. The village is known for its two windmills which are open to the public. There is also a family resort within bicycle riding distance from there called 'De Huttenheugte'. Dalen railway station has connections to Emmen and Coevorden/Zwolle.
Several windmills are located in Dalen, including De Bente Windmill.
Famous residents have included:
- Albert Bouwers (1893-1972), optician (born)
- Karsten Kroon (b. 1976), road bicycle racer (born)
- Gerald Sibon (b. 1974), football striker
- Reflecting Telescope Optics, By Ray N. Wilson, page 498. Google Books, pg 498
- J. Kuyper, Gemeente Atlas van Nederland, 1865-1870, "Dalen". Map of the former municipality in 1868.