Dalian Wanda Group
|Key people||Wang Jianlin (Chairman)
Ding Benxi (President)
|Services||Hospitality, cinemas, retailing, property development|
|Owner(s)||Wang's family owns 100 percent of Dalian Wanda directly and through holding company Dalian Hexing Investment Co.|
Dalian Wanda Group Corporation Limited (Chinese: 大连万达; pinyin: Dàlián Wàndá) is a Chinese conglomerate company with activities in real estate, tourism, hotels, and entertainment. It is headquartered in Dalian in Northeast China.
Dalian Wanda acquired the United States-based cinema operator AMC Theatres in May 2012 for about USD $2.6 billion. The company website said that its existing Wanda Cinema Line was “Asia’s largest” cinema operator and following the merger it claims to be the world’s largest cinema operator. The acquisition went through successfully in September 2012.
As of 31 March 2012, Dalian Wanda owned 49 Wanda Plazas, 28 five-star hotels, 730 cinema screens, 40 department stores, and 45 all karaoke centres throughout China.
In June 2013, Dalian Wanda planned to invest USD $1.1 billion to develop a five star hotel in London. The new hotel will be built by the Thames river in Vauxhall, South London as part of the Nine Elms regeneration. The move was welcomed by the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson.
In June 2013, the company purchased of Sunseeker International Ltd., a U.K.-based maker of yachts used in the James Bond movies, for $1.6 billion.
Since 2011, Dalian Wanda has been the name sponsor of the Chinese Super League football league. From 1994 to 2000, it was the primary sponsor for the Dalian Shide F.C. (which was named Dalian Wanda FC at the time).
- Wei, Michael (19 August 2013). "Property Mogul Emerges as China's Richest Person". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- "Wanda Group threw 5 billion yuan for rock-bottom price bargains, and Wang Jianlin predicted a complete shuffle for the real estate industry - Column of Wang Jianlin - About Wanda - Dalian Wanda Group". Wanda.cn. 2008-11-29. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- Associated, The. "News Summary: AMC theater chain to be sold". BusinessWeek. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- "Wanda Buys US Movie Chain AMC - News - Dalian Wanda Group". Wanda.cn. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- "Introduction - About Wanda - Dalian Wanda Group". Wanda.cn. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- "Dalian Wanda to invest millions in Chinese football « Soccerex". Soccerex.com. Retrieved 2012-05-22.