Dallas County, Arkansas
|Dallas County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Arkansas's location in the U.S.
|Founded||January 1, 1845|
|Named for||George M. Dallas|
|• Total||668 sq mi (1,730 km2)|
|• Land||667 sq mi (1,728 km2)|
|• Water||0.7 sq mi (2 km2), 0.1%|
|• Density||12/sq mi (5/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Dallas County is a county located in the U.S. state of Arkansas. As of the 2010 census, the population was 8,116, making it the fourth-least populous county in Arkansas. The county seat is Fordyce. Dallas County is Arkansas's 49th county, formed on January 1, 1845, and named for George M. Dallas, Vice President of the United States.
- Grant County (northeast)
- Cleveland County (east)
- Calhoun County (southeast)
- Ouachita County (southwest)
- Clark County (west)
- Hot Spring County (northwest)
As of the 2000 United States Census, there were 9,210 people, 3,519 households, and 2,431 families residing in the county. The population density was 14 people per square mile (5/km²). There were 4,401 housing units at an average density of 7 per square mile (3/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 56.96% White, 40.98% Black or African American, 0.24% Native American, 0.23% Asian, 1.01% from other races, and 0.59% from two or more races. 1.92% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 3,519 households out of which 29.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.00% were married couples living together, 13.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.90% were non-families. 28.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the county the population was spread out with 26.20% under the age of 18, 8.30% from 18 to 24, 24.50% from 25 to 44, 24.10% from 45 to 64, and 17.00% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 94.30 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.90 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $26,608, and the median income for a family was $32,630. Males had a median income of $28,538 versus $17,884 for females. The per capita income for the county was $14,610. About 13.30% of families and 18.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.80% of those under age 18 and 20.00% of those age 65 or over.
Townships in Arkansas are the divisions of a county. Each township includes unincorporated areas; some may have incorporated cities or towns within part of their boundaries. Arkansas townships have limited purposes in modern times. However, the United States Census does list Arkansas population based on townships (sometimes referred to as "county subdivisions" or "minor civil divisions"). Townships are also of value for historical purposes in terms of genealogical research. Each town or city is within one or more townships in an Arkansas county based on census maps and publications. The townships of Dallas County are listed below; listed in parentheses are the cities, towns, and/or census-designated places that are fully or partially inside the township. 
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- Based on 2000 census data
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- U. S. Census Bureau. 2011 Boundary and Annexation Survey (BAS): Dallas County, AR (Map). http://www2.census.gov/geo/pvs/bas/bas11/st05_ar/cou/c05039_dallas/BAS11C20503900000_000.pdf. Retrieved 2011-08-23.
- "Arkansas: 2010 Census Block Maps - County Subdivision". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 28, 2014.
||Hot Spring County||Grant County|
|Clark County||Cleveland County|
|Ouachita County||Calhoun County|