Dallas Township, Gaston County, North Carolina
|Dallas Township, Gaston County, North Carolina|
|• Total||57.7 sq mi (149.5 km2)|
|• Land||57.3 sq mi (148.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|• Density||375/sq mi (144.6/km2)|
|GNIS feature ID||1026698|
Dallas Township is a township in north-central Gaston County, North Carolina, United States. As of the 2010 census it had a population of 21,436. It includes the incorporated towns of Dallas, High Shoals (a portion of which is in Cherryville Township), and Stanley (shared with Riverbend Township). It also includes small portions of the city of Gastonia and a small outlying portion of the town of Ranlo. Unincorporated areas in the township include Alexis, Hardins, Ashebrook Park, and Vinton Woods.
As of the census of 2000, there were 19,542 people and 8,004 housing units in the township. The population density was 334.5 people per square mile (129.2/km²) and the average density of housing units was 137.0 per square mile. The racial makeup of the township was 92.29% White, 7.59% African American, 0.34% Native American, 0.21% Asian, 0.38% from other races, and 0.68% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.50% of the population.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township covers a total area of 57.7 square miles (149.5 km2), with 57.3 square miles (148.3 km2), or 99.2 percent, of it land. Pasour Mountain, a monadnock ridge and local high point at elevation 1,220 feet (370 m), forms the boundary between Dallas Township and Cherryville Township to the west.
Townships in Gaston County do not exercise any administrative function and have no political leadership. They are, however, used for representation on the seven-member Gaston County Board of Commissioners. Those that file for a particular seat must live in that township. However, the vote is countywide or "at-large". Dallas Township has one seat on the Commission. It is currently held by Republican Tracy L. Philbeck of Dallas, who serves as Vice-Chairman of the Commission.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Dallas township, Gaston County, North Carolina". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 27, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Census of population and housing (2000): North Carolina Summary Population and Housing Characteristics. DIANE Publishing, ISBN 1-4289-8663-4
- USGS Geographic Names Information System. Retrieved on 2008-08-03.
- Elections-Board of Commissioners, Gaston County government website. Retrieved on 2008-07-22
- Dallas Township is located at: Coordinates: