|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014)|
Location of Dalton, Ohio
|• Mayor||Judith K. Cox|
|• Total||1.51 sq mi (3.91 km2)|
|• Land||1.51 sq mi (3.91 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,102 ft (336 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||1,833|
|• Density||1,211.9/sq mi (467.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1064503|
Dalton is located at (40.799295, -81.697030).
As of 2000 the median income for a household in the village was $52,143, and the median income for a family was $60,053. Males had a median income of $44,477 versus $30,531 for females. The per capita income for the village was $21,651. About 1.9% of families and 5.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.3% of those under age 18 and 1.1% of those age 65 or over.
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,830 people, 734 households, and 490 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,211.9 inhabitants per square mile (467.9 /km2). There were 788 housing units at an average density of 521.9 per square mile (201.5 /km2). The racial makeup of the village was 96.7% White, 0.3% African American, 0.1% Native American, 0.9% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.1% from other races, and 2.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.5% of the population.
There were 734 households of which 32.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.0% were married couples living together, 7.6% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 33.2% were non-families. 30.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.40 and the average family size was 2.99.
The median age in the village was 43.4 years. 23.9% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.6% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 21.6% were from 25 to 44; 28.8% were from 45 to 64; and 19.1% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 47.3% male and 52.7% female.
Services and industries
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (August 2014)|
Dalton was the site of Ohio's first commercial pottery, the Houghton Pottery, which was established in 1841. The facility was operated by the Houghton family until it was sold in 1946. The business was then converted into a ceramics manufacturer, producing kitchen and bathroom decorative fixtures.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014)|
- Laura Osborne, widow of Standard Oil magnate Stephen V. Harkness and noted philanthropist.
- Chris Kirkpatrick, former member of N'Sync band
- Justin Thomas, Boston Red Sox baseball pitcher
- Former World Welterweight Champion Joe "The Barbados Demon" Walcott is buried in Dalton Cemetery.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- AARON DORKSEN (15 April 2012). "MAJOR LEAGUER THOMAS AT HOME IN DALTON". The Daily Record. Retrieved 15 August 2014.