|— Civil parish —|
|Primary council||East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Region||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|• Type||Parish Council|
|• UK Parliament||Beverley and Holderness|
|• EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Population (2011 census)|
Dalton Holme a civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire in England. It is situated 5 miles (8 km) to the north-west from the market town of Beverley and covering an area of 1,360.063 hectares (3,360.79 acres).
It is made up of two villages, South Dalton and Holme on the Wolds, which over the years have become joined. Both the villages are run by the Dalton Estate, owned by the Hotham Family, and are occupied by estate workers and paying tenants. The 18th century Dalton Hall is the home of Lord Hotham, whose family have owned land in the area for generations.
The spire of St Mary's, the 19th-century church, is over 200 feet (61 m) high and can be seen for miles around. It was built to the design of John Loughborough Pearson in 1858 to replace an older parish church.
Inside the church are a number of monuments to the Hotham family; the older monuments were transferred from the earlier church. One, in black and white marble, is in memory of John Hotham. It dates from after 1697 and is said to have come from Italy. Sir John is represented in life as a reclining knight in full armour, with his helmet and gauntlet beside him, and in death, as a skeleton. Supporting the four corners of the tomb are statues representing the cardinal virtues.
The local public house is the Pipe and Glass Inn, situated near the entrance gates to the road through Dalton Park, leading to Dalton Hall, 1,200 yards (1,097.3 m) west from the village.
- "Key Figures for 2011 Census: Key Statistics: Area: Dalton Holme CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 3 February 2013.
- "2001 Census Area Profile" (PDF). East Riding of Yorkshire County Council. 2004. Archived from the original on 18 March 2012. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus; Neave, David (1972, 2nd Ed. 1995), Yorkshire: York and the East Riding: The Buildings of England, ISBN 0-300-09593-7.
- "2001 Census: Key Statistics: Parish Headcounts: Area: Dalton Holme CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 12 March 2008.
- Gazetteer – A–Z of Towns Villages and Hamlets. East Riding of Yorkshire Council. 2006. pp. 5, 7, 10.
Media related to Dalton Holme at Wikimedia Commons