The Dalyell Baronetcy in the Baronetage of Nova Scotia was created 7 November 1685 for a Scottish General, Thomas Dalyell of the Binns. The succession of the title is unusual in that, in default of heirs male, it can pass by special remainder to tailzie succeeding him in the estate of The Binns.
The current baronet is Sir Thomas Dalyell Loch of the Binns, 11th Baronet, better known as the former politician Tam Dalyell; he was born in Edinburgh in 1932 and inherited the baronetcy from his mother in 1972. Educated at the Edinburgh Academy and Eton College, he did his National Service with the Royal Scots.
Without the special remainder, the current holder would be William Anstruther Dalyell of St Ives in Sydney, Australia[why?].
Dalyell of the Binns, Linlithgow (1685)
- Sir Thomas Dalyell of the Binns, 1st Baronet (died c. 1700)
- Sir Thomas Dalyell of the Binns, 2nd Baronet (died 1719), dormant
- Sir James Dalyell of the Binns, 3rd Baronet (c. 1690–1747), claimed between 1723 and 1728
- Sir Robert Dalyell of the Binns, 4th Baronet (died 1791)
- Sir James Dalyell of the Binns, 5th Baronet (1774–1841)
- Sir John Graham Dalyell of the Binns, 6th Baronet (c. 1775–1851)
- Sir William Cunningham Dalyell of the Binns, 7th Baronet (1787–1865)
- Sir Robert Alexander Osborne Dalyell of the Binns, 8th Baronet (1821–1886), dormant
- His sister, Elizabeth Grace Cornwall-Dalyell, (died 1913) inherited the Binns, but not the baronetcy
- Sir James Bruce Wilkie-Dalyell of the Binns, 9th Baronet (1867–1935), cousin of the above, as son of Harriet Wilkie, née Dalyell, aunt; claimed 1914, dormant
- Dame Eleanor Isabel "Nora" Dalyell, de jure 10th Baronetess (1895–1972), daughter of preceding
- Sir Thomas "Tam" Dalyell of the Binns, 11th Baronet (born 1932), claimed 1973, son of preceding
The heir apparent is Gordon Wheatley Dalyell (born 1965).
- Stephen, Leslie, ed. (1888). "Dalyell, John Graham". Dictionary of National Biography 13. London: Smith, Elder & Co.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- http://www.thepeerage.com/p33877.htm%7CSir James Bruce Wilkie-Dalyell of the Binns, 9th Bt.1