Damascus Township, Henry County, Ohio
|Damascus Township, Ohio|
Damascus Township Fire Department
Location of Damascus Township in Henry County
|• Total||30.8 sq mi (79.8 km2)|
|• Land||30.1 sq mi (78.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.6 sq mi (1.7 km2)|
|Elevation||676 ft (206 m)|
|• Density||59.1/sq mi (22.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086287|
Damascus Township is one of the thirteen townships of Henry County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,781 people in the township, 1,020 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the eastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Washington Township - north
- Providence Township, Lucas County - northeast corner
- Grand Rapids Township, Wood County - east
- Weston Township, Wood County - southeast, between Grand Rapids and Milton Townships
- Milton Township, Wood County - southeast corner
- Richfield Township - south
- Monroe Township - southwest corner
- Harrison Township - west
- Liberty Township - northwest corner
The village of McClure is located in central Damascus Township.
Name and history
It is the only Damascus Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Henry County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.