|Founder(s)||Jan and Marinus Damen|
|Headquarters||Gornichem, Netherlands, Netherlands|
|Divisions||Financing, Hardware, Services, Software|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
- 1 History
- 2 Key figures 2012
- 3 Current
- 4 Products
- 5 Customers
- 6 Group Companies
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Damen was established in 1927 in the town of Hardinxveld-Giessendam in the Netherlands by Jan and Marinus Damen. The two brothers ran a successful, mainly Dutch-oriented, shipyard for decades. Over the years they managed to build up a small, but loyal customer-base.
Damen Shipyards Hardinxveld, located about 10 km from Damen’s HQ in Gorinchem, still exists today and is specialised in designing and building workboats, especially Multi Cats ad Shoalbusters.
In 1969 Jan Damen’s son, Kommer Damen, took over. In addition to building reliable vessels at an affordable price, Kommer Damen had a revolutionary idea: the standardisation and series production of workboats. To make this vision become reality he needed the support of several key suppliers and clients, most of which still maintain a close relationship with Damen today.
Based on this idea, Damen expanded rapidly, incorporating additional innovations and methods, such as modularisation of ship design, standardisation of the supply chain, structurally integrating R&D into the design process, introducing the concept of ‘building on site’ and making it work worldwide, at any location. Last, but not least Kommer Damen travelled the world, often on his own, knocking on doors that were closed before, finding new markets and visiting new customers, treating each one with the same respect. Within Damen Shipyards Group, every sales manager is expected to do the same.
Today, Damen Shipyards Group is a globally operating company with more than 50 shipyards, repair yards and related companies as well as numerous partner yards that can build Damen vessels locally. Since 1969, Damen has designed and built more than 5,000 vessels and delivers up to 150 vessels annually.
Even though it is a major international group, doing business in 120 countries, it is still a family-owned company.
Key figures 2012
- The Netherlands - 2,700
- Abroad - 5000
Damen Shipyards group:
- The Netherlands - 16
- Abroad - 22
- Tugs / Workboats: 80
- Offshore Vessels: 6
- High Speed Craft & Ferries: 42
- Pontoons & Barges: 7
- Dredging & Specials: 7
- Cargo Vessels/Inland & Coastal: 8
- Naval & Yachts: 7
Damen Shipyards Gorinchem is now an independent member of the Damen Shipyards Group. With over 30 shipyards and related companies worldwide, Damen is involved in ship construction as well as maintenance and repair activities.
Damen has a wide product range, including tugs, workboats, patrol craft, cargo vessels, dredgers, mega yachts and fast ferries. Product design and engineering are carried out in-house and a broad range of designs is available
- Corvettes (Sigma class)
- Frigates (De Zeven Provinciën class, Kortenaer class, Karel Doorman class)
- Patrol boats (Holland class)
- LPDs (Rotterdam class)
- Minesweeper (Alkmaar class)
US Coast Guard
The US Coast Guard Sentinel class Fast Response Cutter (FRC-B) [153 feet (47 m) long, and capable of speeds of over 28 knots (52 km/h; 32 mph) knots] is based on the Damen 4708 design, and will be built by the Bollinger Shipyards of Lockport, Louisiana. The firm fixed-price contract for the first ship is worth US$88m; the approximate maximum value of the contract, if all options are exercised for a total of 34 patrol boats, is $1.5 billion over a period of between six and eight years.
Canadian Coast Guard
On September 2, 2009, the Ministry of Public Works and Government Services of Canada announced that 9 mid-shore patrol ships based on a 'Canadianized' version of the Damen Stan Patrol 4207 would be built by Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, Nova Scotia for use by the Canadian Coast Guard in conjunction with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. The Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans had originally wanted 12 patrol craft.
Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) Coast Guard
On October 27, 2005, the JDF Coast Guard commissioned the HMJS Cornwall, the first of three Damen 4207 vessels (termed "County Class" by the JDFCG). The second "County Class" vessel, the HMJS Middlesex, was commissioned on April 7, 2006. The third and final vessel, the HMJS Surrey, was commissioned on June 26, 2007. The vessels are dubbed "County Class" as they are named after the three counties of Jamaica.
Hong Kong Marine Police
The Marine Region of the Hong Kong Police Force is having Stan 2600 patrol boats built by Damen.
Ecuadorian Coast Guard
Vietnam Marine Police
The Vietnam Marine Police also cooperated with Damen Group to build large vessels with Dutch license, such as one offshore patrol vessel 9014, one hydrographic survey vessel 6613, four salvage tugs 6412. These vessels will be built in Vietnam by the Song Thu company.
Damen is a large group. Some of the group companies are:
- Bodewes Millingen
- Damen Anchor and Chain Factory
- Damen Dredging Equipment
- Damen Marine Components
- Damen Marine Services
- Damen Schelde Gears
- Damen Schelde Marine Services
- Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding
- Damen Shiprepair Rotterdam
- Damen Shipyards Galaţi
- Damen Stan 4207 patrol vessel
- Damen Stan patrol vessel 4708
- Eendracht (1989 ship)
- Holland class offshore patrol vessels
- "New Cutter for HM Customs". Maritime Journal. 2004-07-01. Retrieved 2008-09-09.
- "Customs ship seeks smugglers". bbc.co.uk (BBC News). 2001-09-17.
- Careers at Damen Group
- Fast Response Cutter - "Sentinel" Class, USCG, accessed 2 October 2008
- "Mid Shore Patrol Vessel contract awarded to Irving Shipbuilding Inc." (Press release). Damen Shipyards Group. 2009-09-02. Retrieved 2009-09-04.
- "Contract for Canadian Coast Guard Mid-Shore Patrol Vessels: Damen Shipyards Announces $194M Award for partner, Irving". Canadian American Strategic Review. 2009-09-03. Archived from the original on 2009-09-07.
- "L'Equateur commande une vedette garde-côte" [Ecuador orders a star Coast Guard]. Mer et Maritime. 2011-11-16. Retrieved 2011-11-30. "The Dutch group Damen shipyard and the Ecuadorian Astinave signed with the coastguard service of Ecuador, the order type of a star Stan Patrol 2606." mirror
- Damen Group Companies