Markota with Iurbentia Bilbao
|No. 22 – Bilbao Basket|
December 26, 1985 |
Sarajevo, SR Bosnia and Herzegovina, SFR Yugoslavia
|Listed height||6 ft 10.25 in (2.09 m)|
|Listed weight||260 lb (118 kg)|
|NBA draft||2006 / Round: 2 / Pick: 59th overall|
|Selected by the San Antonio Spurs|
|Pro playing career||2001–present|
|2007–2008||Spartak St. Petersburg|
|Career highlights and awards|
Damir Omerhodžić Markota (born December 26, 1985) is a Croatian professional basketball player for Bilbao Basket of the Spanish Liga ACB. He is 2.09 m (6 ft 10 ¼) tall and 118 kg (260 lbs) in weight. His style of play has been compared to Vladimir Radmanović.
Markota, born in Sarajevo (then SR Bosnia and Herzegovina, SFR Yugoslavia), fled Bosnia during the war and settled in Sweden, where he began to practice basketball. He played together with Maciej Lampe in Stockholm, until moving to Croatia when he was fourteen, after being invited to play in the Croatian league. Markota signed with KK Cibona, but was loaned to Zabok and Karlovac Šanac until the end of 2002-03. Subsequently, he received Croatian citizenship (holding Swedish as well), declining an offer to play for the Swedish national basketball team.
Markota was an early candidate for the 2004 NBA Draft, but soon withdrew his name from consideration. He was later invited to the Croatian national team, and in 2005 he changed his last name from "Omerhodžić" to "Markota" (his mother's maiden name).
He was eventually chosen by the San Antonio Spurs in the second round of the 2006 NBA Draft, 59th overall, then immediately traded to the Milwaukee Bucks. During the summer of 2006, the Bucks signed Markota to a multi-year contract after the Spurs traded his draft rights for the higher of the Bucks’ two 2007 NBA Draft second-round picks.
On September 7, Markota was waived by the Bucks, and signed with Russian team Spartak St. Petersburg on a two-year contract two days later. However, in early 2008, he switched to Lithuanian powerhouse Žalgiris Kaunas.
On August 14, 2008, Markota was signed by Cibona, returning to the team he represented as a youngster but, after a series of unsatisfying performances upon recovering form knee injury, he was suspended for clashing with the coach.
He signed a contract with Beşiktaş in August 2012. On September 27, 2013, he signed a three-month contract with Brose Baskets. On November 25, 2013, he signed with his former club Bilbao Basket until the end of the season.
- Markota 2.09 m 118 kg.
- DraftExpress profile
- "Profile: Damir Markota". NBA. 2006. Retrieved 6 April 2010.
- Milwaukee Bucks Assign Rookie Forward Damir Markota to Tulsa 66ers of NBA Development League
- Bucks request waivers on Damir Markota
- Баскетбольный клуб "Спартак" (Санкт-Петербург) (Russian)
- Zalgiris Kaunas profile (Lithuanian)
- Cibona brings back Markota
- "Bermuda triangle in Cibona" (Croatian)
- Markota joins ViveMenorca (Croatian)
- Markota to wear #11 (Spanish)
- Bilbao brings in Markota.
- Union Olimpija adds Damir Markota
- Damir Markota officially joins KK Zagreb
- Damir Markota signs with Beşiktaş
- "BROSE BASKETS adds Markota". Euroleague.net. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Damir Markota vuelve el Bilbao Basket" (in Spanish). bilbaobasket.biz. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- NBA Profile
- Damir Markota at Basketball-Reference.com
- FIBA Eurobasket 2013 Player Profile
- 2006 NBA Draft Profile
- TBLStat.net Profile
- Aba League Profile