Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013)|
|Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University|
|దామోదరం సంజీవయ్య జాతీయ లా విశ్వవిద్యాలయం|
Logo of DS National Law University
यतो धर्मस्ततो जयः
|Chancellor||Prof. (Dr.) A. Lakshminath|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. (Dr.) R.G.Babu Bhagavath Kumar|
|Location||Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India
|Affiliations||UGC, Bar Council of India|
Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University (DSNLU) is a National Law University located at Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India constituted by the DSNLU Act, 2008. It offers 5 year integrated B.A LLB. (Hons.) course to eligible Undergraduate students based on the Common Law Admission Test centralized admission process. Integrated LL.B LL.M, PhD and LL.D courses are also conducted by the university. The university has an upcoming campus in Sabbavaram with 15.5 acres of sanctioned land, slated to be ready in 2015. The establishing Act of 2008 of the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly (Act No. 32 of 2008), provides the main campus at Visakhapatnam and two centers, at Kadapa and Nizamabad. The University is fully residential.
DSNLU conducts teaching in law and allied disciplines, with emphasis on practical training of the students in technical skills of the profession through Moot Courts, Seminars, Project Reports, Expert Lectures, work and Interns in law chambers, Court visits and conducting Legal aid and Legal literacy camps in parts of the country, the most recent one being "Abhyeti" conducted in Bhopal. The first national moot court competition of DSNLU was held on February 15 & 16.
This is the only National Law University to enter into MoUs with other National Law Universities, which are:
- National Law School of India University, Bangalore
- The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata
- Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala
- Chanakya National Law University, Patna
The Universities that have agreed in principle for exchange are:
- National Law University, Delhi
- NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad
- Centurion University of Technology and Management, Odisha
- Institute of Company Secretaries of India, New Delhi
The foreign MoU is with Vistula University (University of Economics and Computer Sciences in Warsaw), Poland.
There are presently the following societies operated by the students in DSNLU, along with a faculty convener:
- SCoOP (Society for Constitutional Order and Public Policy)
- STEAL (Society for Technology and Law)
- CoBA (Society for Corprate and Business Affairs)
- FoRMAT (Society For Moot Court and Advocacy)
- SoLiD (Society for Literature and Debate)
- SANCTUS (Society for Sports and Cultural Activities)
- CAPS (Career and Placement Society)
- Society for Public Relations and Image Making
- Legal Aid Cell
- Website Committee
The government appointed Prof. A. Lakshminath as the first Chancellor, Y. Satyanarayana as the First Vice-Chancellor and Amancherla Subrahmanyam as the first Registrar of the university. Presently, the Vice-Chancellor is Prof. R.G. Babu Bhagavath Kumar and the Registrar is Prof. Pasala Sudhakar.
|No.||Vice chancellor||Took office||Left office||Milestones during term as VC|
|01||Y. Satyanarayana||2008||2011||Founder VC of DSNLU|
|02||R. G. Babu Bhagavath Kumar||2011||Incumbent||Founded DSNLU National Moot Court competition • Established MoUs with other NLUs • Started overseeing construction of new campus at Sabbavaram • Presided over first convocation in December 2014|
The faculty of DSNLU includes faculties from various National Law Schools like National Law School of India University, Gujarat National Law University, The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Chanakya National Law University, Hidayatullah National Law University, Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia National Law University.
In addition to the permanent staff, eminent jurists, judges, lawyers and academicians serve as guest faculty. Members of the World Intellectual Property Organization, Tata Institute of Social Sciences and many other eminent personalities take guest lectures.
Library is the sine qua non for modern legal education of global standards and for research. These are the days where lot of information and case law is available through soft copies of DVD/CD and net. DSNLU has started building up the library in a big way by subscribing to online journals like SCC, Manupatra and already procured hard copies of All India Reporter back volumes from 1950, apart from other journals.
- Special Correspondent (December 17, 2014). "43 graduates to receive degrees of DS law university". The Hindu. Retrieved 17 December 2014.
- Express News Service (December 16, 2014). "CJI to Attend 1st DSNLU Convocation on December 19". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 17 December 2014.
- "DSNLU to build new campus at a hillside in Sabbavaram". Lawlex.org. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- Bare Act No. 32 of 2008 Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly
- 'Campus Notes' - Times Of India dt. 29-12-2013 & 'Bhopal and beyond' - Hindustan Times dt. 29-12-2013
- "Three-day national moot court competition gets under way". The Hindu. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "National Moot Court competitions begin". The Times Of India. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "Official DSNLU Societies Webpage". Societies. DSNLU. Retrieved 2014-05-24.
- "Dr. Dayananda Murthy C P". DSNLU. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "Dr. S. Rama Rao". DSNLU. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Official website DSNLU website