|Born||Brandon, Florida, United States|
|Genres||Electric blues, blues rock, soul blues|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, guitarist, and songwriter|
|Labels||Blind Pig Records|
Damon Fowler is an American electric blues and blues rock singer, guitarist, and songwriter. Allmusic noted that "his sound is blues based, but there are hints of country, swamp rock, R&B, and swing in his playing and song writing."
Over the years, Fowler has worked with Delbert McClinton, Chris Duarte, Buddy Guy, Johnny Winter, Edgar Winter, Jeff Beck, Robin Trower, Gregg Allman, Junior Brown, Rick Derringer, Little Feat, Jimmie Vaughan, Victor Wainwright, and the Radiators.
Life and career
Fowler was born in Brandon, Florida, United States. His first association with the guitar began at the age of twelve, and by experience has expanded his skills and range to include playing acoustic, electric, lap steel, and dobro, incorporating slide techniques. In his teenage years, Fowler played at small clubs in the Tampa Bay Area. With a growing local reputation, he began to appear as a support act, both on other musicians tours and at music festivals. His debut album, Riverview Drive (1999), was self-released and included material all written by Fowler. Rick Derringer both played on, and produced the record. Further self releases of Roots and Branches (2000) and the live album, Live at Skipper's Smoke House (2003) followed, which gained Fowler critical notice from the music press.
In March 2007, Blind Pig Records announced the signing of Fowler. His first issue with them was the largely blues based album, Sugar Shack (2009). Billboard commented that "Fowler may be so skillful that he prefers pickin' tasty to larger-than-life guitar heroics. Fowler wrote nine of the 12 tunes on the album, and his original material is solid." Fowler also performed at Memphis in May in 2009. Following the release of Devil Got His Way two years later, Allmusic remarked that "Fowler's creative lap steel work is what sets him apart from the rest."
Following an impromptu jam session in July 2011 in Florida, Victor Wainwright teamed up with Damon Fowler, J.P. Soars, Chuck Riley and Chris Peet to form what was to be known as Southern Hospitality. Their first gig was supporting Buddy Guy in August the same year at the Heritage Music Blues Fest in Wheeling, West Virginia. Their debut album, Easy Livin' , (2013) was produced by Tab Benoit, and released by Blind Pig Records. It peaked at No. 9 on the US Billboard Top Blues Album chart.
Tab Benoit produced Sounds of Home, which was Fowler's most recent offering. Recorded in Houma, Louisiana, it was released on January 21, 2014. In February 2014, Fowler appeared at the Blast Furnace Blues Festival in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
|Year||Title||Record label(s)||US Top Blues Albums Chart|
|1999||Riverview Drive||Self released|
|2000||Roots and Branches||Self released|
|2003||Live at Skipper's Smoke House||Self released|
|2009||Sugar Shack||Blind Pig||12|
|2011||Devil Got His Way||Blind Pig|
|2014||Sounds of Home||Blind Pig||12|
- Steve Leggett. "Damon Fowler | Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-03-26.
- "Sugar Shack - Damon Fowler | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. 2009-01-27. Retrieved 2014-03-26.
- "Damon Fowler". Damon Fowler. Retrieved 2014-03-26.
- "Blind pig signs damon fowler - The Blues Society of Omaha Forums". Omahablues.com. Retrieved 2014-03-26.
- "Piedmont Talent : Damon Fowler". Piedmonttalent.com. Retrieved 2014-03-26.
- Hal Horowitz (2011-01-18). "Devil Got His Way - Damon Fowler | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-03-26.
- "Southern Hospitality featuring the Damon Fowler Band & Victor Wainwright and the Wild Roots - Riverfront Blues Festival". Riverfrontbluesfestde.com. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Southern Hospitality". Southernhospitalityband.com. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "New Victor Wainwright Album Debuts on Billboard Top Ten". Daytonabluesfestival.com. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "SIDE DOOR BLUES at The Palladium Theatre DAMON FOWLER Band". Meetup. Retrieved 2014-03-26.
- Steve Leggett (2014-01-21). "Sounds of Home - Damon Fowler | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-03-26.
- "Sugar Shack - Damon Fowler | Awards". AllMusic. 2009-01-27. Retrieved 2014-03-26.
- "Sounds of Home - Damon Fowler | Awards". AllMusic. 2014-01-21. Retrieved 2014-03-26.
- "Damon Fowler | Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-03-26.