|• Revised Romanization||Damyang-gun|
Location in South Korea
|Administrative divisions||1 eup, 11 myeon|
|• Total||455.09 km2 (175.71 sq mi)|
|• Density||121/km2 (310/sq mi)|
The county comprises one eup (Damyang-eup, the seat), and eleven myeon (Bongsan-myeon, Changpyeong-myeon, Daedeok-myeon, Daejeon-myeon, Geumseong-myeon, Goseo-myeon, Mujeong-myeon, Nam-myeon, Subok-myeon, Wolsan-myeon, Yong-myeon).
Damyang area is a nice destination to enjoy Korean countryside. The development of road infrastructures allowed a boom in tourism, but it is still possible to come across beautiful, quiet, and unspoilt villages.
Damyang is one of the northernmost places where bamboo can be found on the Korean peninsula, and its bamboo forests are well-known among Koreans. Many touristic attractions have been created to leverage on that reputation: a Bamboo Theme Park / Daenamugol, a Bamboo Museum, a Bamboo Festival, a park filled with green bamboo (Juknokwon - 죽녹원)...
Here too, infrastructures followed the natural assets, and tourists can now stay in themed resorts, featuring of course hot baths perfumed with bamboo.
Damyang is also a popular destination for food lovers and amateurs of cultural visits.
- Jeollanam-do enjoys a good reputation for its cuisine, and Damyang generally evoques great food and the county provides a large choice of restaurants.
- Among the most popular specialities, Damyang ddeok galbi (tteokgalbi): this tasty and juicy marinated beef and pork mix, usually grilled at the table, is supposed to have originated either in Damyang or in Gwangju.
- Don't even think about escaping bamboo in Damyang: many restaurants propose daetongbap (rice cooked in bamboo), tea places bamboo tea and the salad of raw bamboo with spicy vinegar.
A private garden built by Yang San-bo (1503–1557), Soswaewon (소쇄원) stretches along a charming streamlet dotted with pavilions particularly suitable for meditation. A refreshing spot in the summer heat.
Several houses of famous scholars can be visited, and the Miam Diaries (Miam Yu Hui-chun: 1513-1577) are exposed in Daeduk-myon.
- Yongheungsa in Wolsa-myeon (not to be confused with Busan's Yonggungsa)
- Gaeseonsa in Nam-myeon.
Other landmarks and monuments
They include the fortress of Geumseongsanseong (see above), and various national treasures (pagodas, pavilions... - overall, 66 properties, including 15 at the national level and 51 at the provincial level).
- Damyang Bamboo Festival
- The V Asian-Pacific Astronomy Olympiad took place in Damyang in October 2009.
Korean dramas have become a significant (though not often sustainable) source of revenue for tourism, and many counties sponsor series or compete to host a few shootings, hoping to hit a jackpot similar to the localities 'blessed' with Winter Sonata's visit. Damyang boasts its metasequoia path (see above), and a 'movie village'.
- "담양 메타세쿼이아 가로수길에서 마라톤을.." Yeonhap news 2007.08.15
- "DAMYANG - A garden without bamboo is like a day without sunshine". Retrieved 7 December 2014.