Bongino in December 2011
December 4, 1974 |
Queens, New York, U.S.
|Residence||Severna Park, MD, U.S.|
|Alma mater||City University of New York,
University, University Park
|Spouse(s)||Paula Andrea Bongino|
|Bongino For Congress|
Daniel “Dan” Bongino is a former United States Secret Service agent who was the Republican Party nominee in Maryland’s 2012 election for the United States Senate, losing to incumbent Democrat Ben Cardin. Bongino is running for Maryland's 6th Congressional District in the 2014 elections to the U.S. House of Representatives. The seat represents an area of Western Maryland and is currently held by Democrat John Delaney.
Early life and education
Bongino attended the City University of New York, where he earned both a bachelor’s and master’s degree in psychology, and Penn State University, where he earned a master’s in business administration.
Law enforcement career
Bongino worked with the New York Police Department for four years, from 1995 to 1999. He joined the U.S. Secret Service in 1999 as a special agent, leaving the New York Field Office in 2002 to become an instructor at the Secret Service Training Academy in Beltsville, Maryland. In 2006 he was assigned to the U.S. Presidential Protection Division during George W. Bush's term. He remained on protective duty after Barack Obama became president, leaving in May 2011 to run for the U.S. Senate.
2012 U.S. Senate election
Bongino ran for political office to represent Maryland in the U.S. Senate. Former gubernatorial candidate Brian Murphy was his campaign chairman. He won the Republican primary on April 3, 2012, with 33.8 percent of the vote, defeating nine other candidates. He ran against Senator Ben Cardin and wealthy Independent Rob Sobhani in the November 2012 general election and finished second.
2014 House of Representatives election
Bongino is running for the U.S. House of Representatives seat from Maryland's 6th Congressional District in the 2014 election. The seat represents an area of Western Maryland and is currently held by incumbent Democrat John Delaney. In October 2013 Bongino was endorsed by an Allen West-affiliated group.
In late 2013, Bongino’s book, Life Inside the Bubble, about his career as a Secret Service agent, was released and immediately made it onto both the New York Times and Amazon best seller lists. The book discusses his experiences protecting presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama and investigating federal crimes along with his 2012 run for the U.S. Senate in Maryland.
The book caused controversy, with former colleagues criticizing him for trying to use his proximity to President Obama as the springboard for a political career: “He’s trying to draw attention to himself and he’s hijacking the Secret Service brand. That’s all he's got going for him.” Bongino claimed to have had access to “high-level discussions” in the White House. Former colleagues said he “tends to exaggerate his importance on the presidential detail and exaggerate his proximity” and that “we don’t sit in on meetings at the White House. We don’t sit in on high-level meetings.”
Bongino is married to the former Paula Martinez and has two daughters. They reside in Severna Park, Maryland. Bongino and his wife are small business owners and their core business concentration is Internet design and development. Bongino is a frequent radio host and commentator on both local and national radio programs. He is a guest host for both the Sean Hannity radio show and the Mark Levin radio show. Bongino has also provided guest commentary on both political and security matters for the NBC Nightly News, CBS This Morning, the Fox News Channel, CNN, MSNBC, and a multitude of print and online outlets.
|United States Senate election in Maryland, 2012|
|Democratic||Ben Cardin (incumbent)||1,402,092||55.41||+1.20|
|Independent||S. Rob Sobhani||420,554||16.62||N/A|
|2012 Maryland Senate Republican primary results|
|Republican||Richard J. Douglas||55,907||28.4%|
|Republican||John B. Kimble||10,088||5.1%|
|Republican||Corrogan R. Vaughn||7,869||4.0%|
|Republican||William Thomas Capps, Jr.||6,768||3.4%|
- "Ex-agent Bongino wins Republican Senate primary; will face Sen. Benjamin Cardin in November". April 4, 2012. Retrieved 4 April 2012.[dead link]
- Ex-Secret Service agent Bongino enters race to unseat Cardin June 01, 2011 TheWashingtonPost by Ben Pershing
- West endorses Bongino's bid September 20, 2013 Political Notes by Bethany Rodgers Frederick News-Post Staff
- Allen West Offers First Round of Endorsements for 2013 and 2014 Elections by Kevin Derby October 10, 2013 Sunshine State News
- Ex secret service agent blasts obama 2013 Frontpage Mag
- "Unofficial 2012 Presidential General Election results for Representative in Congress". Maryland State Board of Elections. Retrieved Nov 12, 2012.
- Dan Bongino for Congress
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- Financial information (federal office) at the Federal Election Commission
- Financial information (2012 Senate campaign) at the Federal Election Commission
- For U.S. Senate, strength on issues matters March 14, 2012
- Air war heats up in Maryland Senate race March 21, 2012
- Dan Bongino is really scaring some people; Why else would he face this kind of harassment? by Jeff Quinton (Diary) RedState, April 8, 2013, Bongino alleges harassment and responds
|Party political offices|
|Republican nominee for Senator from Maryland