Dan Browne at the 2008 Olympic Trials during the 10,000 meter
24 June 1974 |
Portland, Oregon, United States
|Residence||Chula Vista, California|
|Event(s)||10km, 20km, 25km, Marathon|
|College team||West Point|
Daniel J. Browne (born June 24, 1975 in Portland, Oregon) is a United States distance runner, who has won numerous major American road race championships and was a member of the 2004 Olympic team in the 10 km and marathon.
Brown attended West Linn high school, a suburb of Portland, Oregon, graduating in 1993. He graduated from The United States Military Academy with a major in Spanish & Portuguese and a minor in Systems engineering in 1997.
Browne first took running seriously while in high school. He attended the United States Military Academy as a member of the class of 1997. While at West Point, he became the only cadet to ever run the mile under four minutes (3:59.37), and set school records in the 3,000, 5,000 and 10,000 meters, which remain unbroken 10 years later. Upon graduating from West Point, he underwent basic officer training before being invited to joint the Army's World Class Athlete Program. He moved to Colorado and trained full-time while serving his service commitment in the Colorado National Guard. He won the short course race at the 1998 USA Cross Country Championships. He was later approached by legendary running coach Alberto Salazar about joining the Nike Oregon Project. He now splits time between training Chula Vista, California and living in Oregon. Browne is sponsored by Nike. He made the US Olympic team in 2004 at 10,000 M and Marathon, finishing 3rd in both distances at the trials. He was unsuccessful in a bid to make the 2008 Olympic team. He again attempted to make the 2012 Olympic team in the marathon, but was unsuccessful, completing the race as the last place finisher. 
|1997||Army Ten-Miler||Washington, D.C.||10 Mile||1st||47:44|
|2002||USA Marathon Championship||Minneapolis, Minnesota||Marathon||1st||2:11:35|
|2004||Army Ten-Miler||Washington, D.C.||10 Mile||1st||47:32|
|2007||USA 5K Road Championships||Providence, Rhode Island||5K||1st||13:47|
|2007||USA 20K Road Championships||New Haven, Connecticut||20K||1st||59:19|
|2009||USA 25K Championships||Grand Rapids, Michigan||25K||1st||1:15:56|
- "Dan Browne". USA Track & Field. Retrieved 2009-05-20.[dead link]
- "Biography". Dan Browne.com. Retrieved 2009-05-24.
- "A disciplined road". United States Military Academy at West Point. Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- "Men's Finish". www.Houston2012.com. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- "Army 10-Miler, History 1996-2000". Army Ten-Miler. Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- "Army 10-Miler, History 1991-2005". Army Ten-Miler. Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- "USA 5k Road Championships". USA Track & Field. Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- "2007 New Haven 20K Road Race". New Haven Road Race.org. Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- "2009 USA 25 km Championships". USA Track & Field. Retrieved 2009-05-20.