December 21, 1953|
Goldsboro, North Carolina
|Died||June 7, 1969
An Hoa Combat Base, Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Cause of death
|killed in action|
|Elmwood Cemetery, Goldsboro, Wayne County, North Carolina, USA|
|Monuments||On June 7, 2003 a section of Lee Avenue in Brooklyn, where Bullock lived since age 11, was renamed in his honor.|
|Known for||Youngest American KIA in the Vietnam War.|
Private First Class Dan Bullock (December 21, 1953 - June 7, 1969) was the youngest American serviceman killed in action during the Vietnam War.
Dan Bullock was born in Goldsboro, North Carolina. He lived in North Carolina until he was about 12, when his mother died and he and his younger sister, Gloria, moved to Brooklyn to live with their father and his wife. There he dreamed of becoming a pilot, or police officer, or U.S. Marine. When he was 14 years old he altered the date on his birth certificate to show he was born December 21, 1949, processed through the recruiting station, and enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps on September 18, 1968. As a member of Platoon 3039 in Parris Island, he graduated from boot camp on December 10, 1968.
Bullock arrived in Vietnam on May 18, 1969 and was assigned as a rifleman in 2nd Squad, 2nd Platoon, Fox Company, 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division. He was stationed at An Hoa Combat Base in Quang Nam Province. He was killed instantly by small arms fire on June 7, 1969, during a North Vietnamese Army night attack while making an ammunition run to resupply his beleaguered unit. He was 15 years old.
On June 7, 2003 a section of Lee Avenue in Brooklyn, where Bullock lived since age 11, was renamed in his honor.
- "PFC Dan Bullock". findagrave.com.
- "Dan Bullock". enotes.com.
- "Rest in Peace USMC PFC Dan Bullock; youngest Vietnam KIA at age 15". The Washington Syndicate. wordpress.com. May 29, 2010.
- "A Marine Too Young To Drive, Let Alone Die Pfc. Dan Bullock Was Only 15 When He Was Killed In Vietnam. A Friend Who Lives In Mount Laurel Is Pushing To Have That Sacrifice Recognized". philly.com. October 30, 2000. (three page article)
- "Bullock, Dan, PFC". marines.togetherweserved.com.
- "Marine, 15, Killed in Vietnam; Enlisted at 14, Lying About Age; MARINE, 15, DIES IN VIETNAM WAR". The New York Times. June 13, 1969.(subscription required)
- "PFC. DAN BULLOCK FOUNDATION, INC. ' Youngest American KIA in Vietnam War ' ". Archived from the original on 2002-08-03.
|This biographical article related to the United States Marine Corps is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|