Dan Chiasson (born 1971, in Burlington, Vermont) is an American poet, critic, and journalist. He is the author of five books. His name is usually pronounced "chase-in."
Chiasson was born in Burlington, Vermont. He graduated summa cum laude from Amherst College (1993), and from Harvard University, with a Ph.D in English, where he was awarded the Whiting Foundation Award in the Humanities.
He is currently an associate professor of English at Wellesley College. Chiasson is also affiliated with Boston University's Master of Fine Arts program, where he has taught workshops, and with NYU's program in Paris, France. He lives in Wellesley, Massachusetts.
He is poetry critic for The New Yorker, as well as a regular contributor to The New York Review of Books, where he writes about poetry, pop music and film. He was poetry editor, and later advisory editor, of the Paris Review. His poems have been translated into many languages, including German by Jan Wagner. His "Natural History" was published as "Naturgeschichte" at Luxbooks, a publishing house focused on American poetry in bilingual editions. In the UK, he is published by Bloodaxe Books.
Honors and awards
- 2008 Award in Literature, American Academy of Arts and Letters
- 2008 Guggenheim Fellowship for poetry 
- Pushcart Prize
- 2004 Whiting Writers' Award
See also links in External links section below.
- Chiasson, Dan (2007). One Kind of Everything:Poem and Person in Contemporary America. University of Chicago Press. ISBN 978-0-226-10381-5.
- — (1993). The fidgets of remembrance: three reflections on Robert Lowell's late poetry. Amherst College.
- Chiasson, Dan (2002). The Afterlife of Objects. University of Chicago Press. ISBN 978-0-226-10378-5.
- — (2007). Natural History: Poems. Random House, Inc. ISBN 978-0-375-71115-2.
- — (2010). Where's the Moon, There's the Moon: Poems. Alfred A. Knopf. ISBN 978-0-307-27217-1.
- — (2014). Bicentennial. Alfred A. Knopf.
- H.L. Hix, ed. (2008). New Voices: Contemporary Poetry from the United States. Irish Pages. ISBN 978-0-9544257-9-1.
|Title||Year||First published in||Collected in|
|Swifts||2008||Slate (July 29, 2008)|
- Chiasson, Dan (October 20, 2014). "View from the mountain : new poems by Louise Glück". The Critics. Books. The New Yorker 90 (32): 95–97. Retrieved 2014-12-23.
- Search for Chiasson's work in The New Yorker
- Search for Chiasson's work in The New York Review of Books
- Search for Chiasson's work in The Paris Review
- Dan Chiasson interviewed by Christopher Lydon, "Whose Words These Are," Radio Open Source, 27 May 2010
- "Amherst Poets Dream Date: Interview with Dan Chiasson" by Josh Jacobs, September 2011