11 July 1981 |
|Other names||Dan Grech|
Daniel James Grech-Marguerat (born 11 July 1981 in Bedford) is an English recording engineer, record producer and mixer (also known as Dan Grech). His production pulls together a blend of alternative and pop genres, his recent work with Foe was described as producing a "Polished Pop Gem" adding "His signature is all over it".
Past work includes The Vaccines, Lana Del Rey, Keane, Hurts, The Kooks, The Penelopes, Scissor Sisters, Dragonette, Moby and Howling Bells. A mutual admiration led to work with Keane who quoted his work with the Vaccines as one of the inspirations of their latest album Strangeland.
Dan Grech started out at RAK Studios in St Johns Wood London as an assistant recording engineer before going on to work with acclaimed producer Nigel Godrich for 2 further years. Whilst working with Godrich he worked as an engineer on records including Charlotte Gainsbourg, The Divine Comedy, Beck and Radiohead, winning a Grammy Award in 2009 for his work on Radiohead’s ‘In Rainbows’ which picked up ‘Best Alternative Album 2009’.
In 2006 he mixed the Scissor Sisters second multi-platinum selling album entitled Ta-Dah, including the hit single "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'", co-written by Elton John, which went to number one in 8 countries, and top 10 in 20 countries.
Later that year Grech mixed the debut record for the band Dragonette, starting a long term relationship with the band. He went on to co-produce and mix all their work to date. More recently the band had huge success with the track Hello co-written and performed with Martin Solveig.
In 2007 Grech produced two tracks for the Radio 1 Established 1967 anniversary album, one for The Kooks and one for The Kaiser Chiefs. Following on from this he went on to produce several tracks for the The Kooks second award winning album Konk. Also in 2007 he mixed the Moby album Last Night.
In 2010 Grech produced the debut album for the The Vaccines, What Did You Expect from The Vaccines?. In an interview in May 2011 Pete Robertson, The Vaccines drummer, discussed what they saw as a "Really great partnership" and the aspects Grech brought to the Album. Grech produced this hotly tipped band who reached number 4 in the album charts in 2011. The record went on to reach platinum in the UK and is still the band's best selling album.
In May 2012 Keane released their 4th studio album Strangeland, which Dan both produced and mixed. In a recent interview pianist Tim Rice-Oxley told NME, "We loved what (producer) Dan Grech did on The Vaccines album. It had just come out. He'd also done stuff with Radiohead and produced the second Howling Bells album, which I loved. As luck would have it, Dan was a massive Keane fan, so we ended working with him.". Strangeland went straight to number one, went Gold within three weeks and is still selling well.
2013 saw the release of Long Way Down the debut record for Tom Odell, winner of the BRITs Critics Choice Award. Odell performed at the Critics Choice Award launch where 2012 winner Emeli Sande presented him with the award. In addition, Odell was named in the BBC Sound of 2013 Longlist, Odell was named 'songwriter of the year' at the 2014 Ivor Novello Awards ceremony.
This year Grech's attention has mainly been focused on Universal's new signing; Circa Waves. He produced and mixed their debut album set for release early next year. Singles from the album are already gaining the band momentum in the UK.
In the past six months Grech has also worked alongside other new, up and coming artists including Josef Salvat, Freddie Dickson, Astronomyy and Charlotte OC, all of which are set for release in 2015.
|2005||The Roads Don't Love You||Gemma Hayes||Mixing|
|2007||The Village||Fields||Producer, Mixing|
|2007||Track for 40 years of Radio 1||Kaiser Chiefs||Producer, Mixing|
|2009||Fixin to Thrill||Dragonette||Co-Producer, Mixing|
|2006||Ta-Dah||Scissor Sisters||Additional Producer, Mixing|
|2009||Radio Wars||Howling Bells||Producer|
|2009||Sam Sparro||Sam Sparro||Mixing|
|2009||Slow Attack||Brett Anderson||Mixing|
|2009||Konk||The Kooks||Producer, Mixing|
|2010||Voyage||The Sound of Arrows||Additional Producer, Mixing|
|2010||Penguin Prison||Penguin Prison||Additional Producer, Mixing|
|2011||What You Wanted||Spector||Producer, Mixing|
|2011||What Did You Expect from The Vaccines?||The Vaccines||Producer|
|2011||Bad Dream Hotline||Foe||Mixing|
|2011||Nothing to Do||Bleeding Knees Club||Mixing|
|2011||Girls||Deep Sea Arcade||Mixing|
|2011||Lonely in Your Arms||Deep Sea Arcade||Mixing|
|2011||Iron Deer Dream||Fixers||Mixing|
|2012||Born to Die||Lana Del Rey||Mixing|
|2012||Never Live Another Yesterday||The Penelopes||Mixing|
|2012||Ways to Forget||Clock Opera||Mixing|
|2012||Songs From Another Love EP||Tom Odell||Producer|
|2012||Long Way Down||Tom Odell||Producer|
|2013||Track “Bros”||Wolf Alice||Mixed|
|2013||Track “India”||Chlöe Howl||Co Produced|
|2013||Forthcoming Tracks||Sons & Lovers||Producer|
|2014||The Brink||The Jezabels||Producer|
|2015||Young Chasers||Circa Waves||Producer|
- "Foe Bad Dream Hotline Review - BBC Music". BBC News. 5 January 2012. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- "Lana Del Rey – Born To Die". Discogs. 23 January 2012. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- "New Keane album announced, release date revealed". Music Week. 27 February 2012. Retrieved 1 March 2012.
- "Moby - Alice". Contact Music. 17 March 2008. Retrieved 17 March 2008.
- The Range on Radio Adelaide • Brown, Jonathan (Host); Stein, Juanita (Guest) (20 January 2009). "Interview – Juanita from the Howling Bells" (mp3) (Radio broadcast). Australia: University of Adelaide ¤ Automattic. Retrieved 27 February 2011.
- "Keane on new album: 'The Vaccines inspired us'". Digital Spy. 7 March 2012. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- "Keane discussing their new album". Keane Official Site. 16 March 2012. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "Winners: 51st Grammy Awards - CBSNews". CBC News. 8 February 2009. Retrieved 8 February 2009.
- Tingen, Paul (1 November 2006). "Scissor Sisters: Recording Ta-Dah". Sound on Sound. Retrieved 1 November 2006.
- W, Will (29 January 2009). "EQ Interview: The Desexualization of Dragonette". EQ Music Blog. Retrieved 29 January 2009.
- "Interview: The Vaccines". Doubtful Sounds... 16 May 2011. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- "Keane: 'The Vaccines inspired our new album'". NME. 7 March 2012. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- "Brit Awards tip Tom Odell for the top". BBC. 2012-12-20. Retrieved 2012-12-22.
- "The Brink - The Jezabels - Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards - AllMusic". Allmusic. 17 Feb 2014. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "I suppose every band likes to think of themselves as sounding unique: Circa Waves Interview". Figure 8 Magazine. 9 July 2014. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "Liverpool band Circa Waves on how far they've come in such a short space of time". Liverpool Echo. 6 November 2014. Retrieved 6 November 2014.