|Birth name||Daniel Hegarty|
|Time slot||Monday - Thursday, 10:00 – 01:00|
Dan Hegarty is an Irish radio presenter employed by RTÉ. He presents his The Alternative show on RTÉ 2fm Monday to Thursday from 10:00 pm – 1:00am (the show is broadcast live each morning on RTÉ 2XM at 10am to 1pm). He is regularly dispatched to important musical events such as The Eurosonic Festival in The Netherlands, The Electric Picnic  and Oxegen for live broadcasting purposes, as well as being sent around the country to present the 2fm 2moro 2our. In 2008 Hegarty featured on the panel of judges for the Choice Music Prize and was sent to The Music Show to distribute advice.
Hegarty was one of a number of RTÉ 2fm's newer recruits who were seized from Phantom FM in 2003 - also snatched were Cormac Battle and Jenny Huston. Programme producer John McMahon revealed he had been aware of the presenter for some time before signing him. Hegarty was drafted in to replace Jay Ahern, on the Sunday night/Monday morning album show, airing from 12 midnight to 02:00. He was later given the same time slot from Tuesday - Thursday before progressing to his current four nights per week show.
In August 2010 Dan returned to presenting 'The Alternative To Sleep' Mondays to Thursdays (11pm to 1am), after briefly presenting 'There Is No Alternative' since January.
Over the years, Dan championed acts such as Buck 65, Super Delta Three aka Ziggi Baker, God Is An Astronaut, And So I Watch You From Afar, and countless others. In addition to this the show broadcasts weekly live music from acts like The Prodigy, Gogol Bordello, Muse, and Santigold.
Another aspect of the show is the 2FM Sessions, which have since their inception featured everyone from U2 to Scary Eire, and Power Of Dreams - it was gave The Thrills their first radio coverage.
Aside from music, Dan is a self-confessed Wrestling and MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) fan.
|“||With the exception of people like Dan Hegarty, it is next to impossible to get your music played on 2fm. — Choice Music Prize nominee.||”|
|2009||Dan Hegarty||Best Radio DJ - National at the Meteor Awards||Nominated|
|2010||Dan Hegarty||Best Radio DJ - National at the Meteor Awards||Nominated|
- "RTÉ announces Picnic broadcast schedule". Hot Press. 28 August 2008. Retrieved 17 October 2008.
- "RTÉ 2fm's Oxegen site goes live". RTÉ Guide. 11 July 2008. Retrieved 19 October 2008.
- Carroll, Jim (13 April 2007). "(Some) 2FM DJs hit the road". The Irish Times. Retrieved 19 October 2008.
- "Stars of 2fm to feature at Music Show". Hot Press. 15 September 2008. Retrieved 17 October 2008.
- "Three times lucky?". Hot Press. 9 July 2003. Retrieved 17 October 2008.
- "At Home With Dan Hegarty". Hot Press. 23 August 2004. Retrieved 17 October 2008.
- "Meteor Ireland Awards Nominees". RTÉ. 7 January 2010. Retrieved 7 January 2010.
- Meagher, John (26 February 2010). "Loaded: Whose choice is right?". Irish Independent. Retrieved 3 March 2010.