|58 – Dan Iassogna|
Iassogna in 2012
May 3, 1969 |
|MLB debut||August 20, 1999|
|Career highlights and awards|
His professional umpiring career began in 1992, and he advanced to the International League in 1998. He umpired his first major league game in 1999, and worked as a fill-in for vacationing or injured major league umpires for the next four seasons. In 2004, Iassogna was promoted to the major leagues to replace the retired Steve Rippley.
He umpired in the postseason in only his second year as a full-time major league umpire, and has worked one World Series (2012), two League Championship Series (2010, 2013) and five Division Series (2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012). Iassogna also worked the 2011 All-Star Game.
Iassogna was the third base umpire when Detroit Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander threw a no-hitter at Comerica Park against the Milwaukee Brewers on June 12, 2007. Five days prior to Verlander's no-hitter, Iassogna was also at third base in a game between the Boston Red Sox and the Oakland Athletics in which Boston pitcher Curt Schilling had a no-hitter until Shannon Stewart broke up the no-hitter with a single with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning.
In Game 2 of the 2012 World Series, Iassogna was the home plate umpire. In the second inning, Delmon Young doubled down the left field line. Prince Fielder, who was attempting to score on the play, was called out at home by Iassogna. Both Fielder and Tigers manager Jim Leyland argued, but video replays showed that the correct call was made.
Prior to pursuing umpiring, Iassogna earned a BA in English from the University of Connecticut. Having considered firefighting before becoming an umpire, Iassogna volunteers with the Chicago Fire Department's "Bucks for the Burn Camp," Team Kevin brain tumor research and the New York Fire Department's "Lil Bravest" charities; he also plays the Great Highland Bagpipes. He is married with two daughters.
- "Umpires by 2013 MLB Crew Grouping, as of June 23rd". closecallsports.com. June 23, 2013. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- Verlander fans 12 in first Tigers no-hitter since '84 ESPN.com. Retrieved 24 July 2012
- Stewart breaks up Schilling no-hitter with 2 outs in 9th ESPN.com. Retrieved 24 July 2012
- Justin Verlander walks one in near-perfect no-hitter ESPN.com. Retrieved July 27, 2012
- Brown, Larry. "Prince Fielder was out at home; Dan Iassogna made the right call". Larry Brown Sports. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- Caputo, Pat. "One play can cost a series". The Morning Sun. Journal Register MI. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- "UEFL Profile of MLB Umpire: Dan Iassogna." Close Call Sports and the Umpire Ejection Fantasy League. Retrieved October 12, 2013.