July 24, 1936 |
Stockton, California, United States
|Occupation||Martial arts Instructor, Actor|
|Spouse(s)||Paula Inosanto, former wife Sue Inosanto|
|Children||Diana Lee Inosanto, Lance Arca Inosanto and Danielle Inosanto|
|Parent(s)||Sebastian Inosanto, Mary Arca Inosanto|
Daniel Arca Inosanto (born July 24, 1936) is a Filipino-American martial arts instructor from California who is best known as a student of Bruce Lee and renowned authority on Jeet Kune Do, Filipino Martial Arts including Eskrima and Silat.
Dan Inosanto teaches The Art and Philosophy of Jeet Kune Do, Filipino Martial Arts, Shoot wrestling, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Eskrima, Muay Thai, Silat, mixed martial arts and other arts at his Marina del Rey, California school, the Inosanto Academy of Martial Arts. He was a student of Ed Parker whom he also received a shodan from and practiced his sport in American Kenpo Karate before becoming a student of world famous martial artist Bruce Lee. Inosanto is one of three people who have been appointed to teach at one of the 3 Jun Fan Gung Fu Institutes under Bruce Lee (Taky Kimura and James Yimm Lee being the other two), Inosanto also studied with dozens of different martial arts masters elsewhere in the United States, Southeast Asia, and Europe, including Johnny Lacoste, and Chai Sirisute. After Bruce Lee's death, he has become the principal spokesperson and historian for Jeet Kune Do. He has had minor roles in a number of movies, including Bruce Lee's uncompleted last film Game of Death (1972). During this time period (1964–75), he also taught physical education at Malaga Cove Intermediate School in Palos Verdes Estates, California.
Although disputed by some members in the JKD community, Inosanto is authorized by Bruce Lee to teach his system of martial arts. The film I Am Bruce Lee provided Inosanto an opportunity to reveal a little-known fact about the friendship the two men shared. Inosanto was teacher to Bruce Lee, introducing him to nunchaku. Inosanto explained that he introduced the weapon to Lee, taught him the basics and some exercises to get him started on his weapons training. Before he knew it, Lee had mastered the weapon "as if he had been doing it his whole life". The Game of Death movie, one of the most recognizable of the Bruce Lee films, showcases the extraordinary skill Lee exhibited in his manipulation and use of the nunchaku. The credit for nunchaku's introduction to Lee in the first place belongs to Inosanto. He is featured as the Black Belt Magazine's 1996 "Man of the Year".
Always a student himself, he continues to train with many highly regarded martial artists. Consequently, he holds Instructor or black belt level ranks in numerous, different martial arts. In addition, he is well known for promoting the Filipino Martial Arts. He is responsible for bringing several obscure forms of the South East Asia Martial Arts into the public eye such as Silat, a hybrid combative form existing in such countries as Indonesia, Malaysia, and the Philippines. He has recently acquired his black belt in the Machado family style of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. He trained Shoot wrestling under Yorinaga Nakamura. Currently he is the vice-president of Lameco International, carrying on the Eskrima of the late Filipino martial artist Edgar Sulite.
Dan Inosanto's notable students include:
- Diana Lee Inosanto: daughter, actress, stuntwoman, writer and producer
- Ron Balicki: stuntman, actor, producer, and son-in-law of Dan Inosanto
- Chai Sirisute: founder of the Thai Boxing Association of the USA
- Richard Bustillo: martial arts instructor and founder of the IMB Academy in Torrance, CA
- Denzel Washington: Academy Award-winning actor, director, producer
- Edgar Sulite: founder and creator of Lameco Eskrima
- Larry Hartsell: deceased martial arts teacher and author
- Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny: one of the three founders of the Dog Brothers and founder of Dog Brothers Martial Arts
- Burton Richardson: One of the Original Dog Brothers and founder of JKD Unlimited
- Paul Vunak: founder of Progressive Fighting Systems, Helped to popularize Defanging the snake
- Jeff Imada: stuntman, actor, fight choreographer(The Crow, Bourne series, Iron Man 2, The Green Hornet (2011), Hanna)
- Brandon Lee: deceased son of the late Bruce Lee
- Forest Whitaker: Academy Award-winning actor, producer, director, writer
- Nathan Jung: actor, stuntman known for his height cast frequently in "heavy" roles
- Erik Paulson: Shooto champion, trainer to UFC fighters and founder of Combat Submission Wrestling (CSW)
- Damon Caro: actor, stunt coordinator, fight choreographer, 2nd unit director (Fight Club, 300, Bourne series, Watchmen, Man of Steel, Batman v Superman)
- Graciela Casillas-Tortorelli
- Ernest Emerson Martial artist and custom knife manufacturer.
- Ricky Nelson
- Steve Grody
- Jerry Poteet
- Tim Tackett
- Yorinaga Nakamura: Shoot Wrestler
- Valentine Espiricueta: Founder of the Applied Sport Martial Arts Program, NFL Consultant, Two-Time World Eskrima-Kali-Arnis World Champion
- Kevin Seaman: Jeet Kune Do/ Kali Full Instructor in Syracuse, NY
- Greg Nelson: MMA Coach
- Kyle Smith, Tech-support WonderBoy, Oxford Industries Inc.
- "Filipino Martial Arts as Taught by Dan Inosanto" by Dan Inosanto ISBN 0-938676-01-6
- "Absorb What Is Useful (Jeet Kune Do Guidebook Vol 2)" by Dan Inosanto ISBN 0-938676-03-2
- "Jeet kune do" by Salem Assli and Dan Inosanto ISBN 2-7027-0693-2
- "Guide to Martial Arts Training With Equipment" by Dan Inosanto ISBN 0-938676-02-4
- "Jeet Kune Do: The Art & Philosophy of Bruce Lee" by Dan Inosanto ISBN 0-938676-00-8
- "Jeet Kune Do: Conditioning and Grappling Methods" Intro by Dan Inosanto ISBN 0-9531766-5-7
- Big Stan (2008) .... Knife fighting Cook
- Redbelt (2008) .... Joao Moro
- Brazilian Brawl (2003) (V) .... Ruben
- Out for Justice (1991) .... Sticks
- Big Trouble in Little China (1986) (as Daniel Inosanto)
- Sharky's Machine (1981) .... Chin No. 1
- Long de ying zi (1981) (as Danny Inosanto)
- Skirmish (1981)
- Chinese stuntman (Filipino fighter)
- The Killer Elite (1975) (Japanese killer)
- Game of Death (1972) (Filipino fighter named Pasqual) ....
- The Green Hornet (1966) (episode title: Praying Mantis) (Stuntman for Mako)
- I Am Bruce Lee (2012)
- Fight Science (2006)
- Modern Warriors (2002)
- Bruce Lee: The Immortal Dragon (2002)
- Bruce Lee in G.O.D.: Shibôteki yûgi (2000)
- Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey (2000)
- Famous Families (1999) (The Lees: Action Speaks Louder)
- The Path of the Dragon (1998)
- E! True Hollywood Story (Brandon Lee) (1997)
- Curse of the Dragon (1993)
- Bruce Lee, the Legend (1977)
- The Warrior Within (1976)
- Life and Legend of Bruce Lee (1973)
- Kelly, Perry (2000). Dan Inosanto: The Man, The Teacher, The Artist. Paladin Press. ISBN 978-1-58160-079-7.
- Balicki, Ron. Gold, Steven (2007). Jeet Kune Do: The Principles of a Complete Fighter, HNL Publishing. ISBN 9-531766-3-0
- Seaman, Kevin (1999), Jun Fan Gung Fu Seeking The Path Of Jeet Kune Do, S.l.: Health 'N' Life, ISBN 0-9531766-2-2
- Dan Inosanto's Martial Arts Lineage Tree
- Kelly 2000, pp. 46–50
- Kelly 2000, p. 24.
- Kelly 2000, p. 31.
- Kelly 2000, p. 130
- Kelly 2000, p. 109
- Kelly 2000, p. 51.
- Kelly 2000, p. 133
- Video on YouTube
- April 2008 Black Belt magazine cover story
- Imada, Jeff (1984), The Balisong Manual, California: Unique Publications, p. 130, ISBN 0-86568-102-3
- "Jeff Imada". IMDb. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- Beasley, Jerry (2001), Jeet Kune Do Experience: Understanding Bruce Lee's Ultimate Martial Art, Paladin Press, p. 216, ISBN 1-58160-131-X
- "Damon Caro". IMDb. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- Kelly 2000, p. 131.
- Combs, Roger (2004), "Emerson Knives", Knives Illustrated 18 (2): 36–41, 65–69
- Kelly 2000, p. 145.
- "thejkdbrotherhood.com". Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- "Untitled Document". Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- Seaman, Kevin (2011), Jun Fan Gung Fu Seeking The Path Of Jeet Kune Do, New York: Center Line Press, p. 180, ISBN 978-0-9839214-0-0
- Grahn, Andy (2008), "Greg Nelson: Ultimate Fighter", MMA Writer (inosanto.com)
- Inosanto Academy
- Muay Thai
- Dan Inosanto at the Internet Movie Database
-  Success Principles of Dan Inosanto]