Dan Lewis (newsreader)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010)|
- For other people of this name see Dan Lewis (disambiguation).
|Occupation||News presenter, News reporter|
|Known for||Clear voice in news reporting, interviewing numerous presidents|
He came to KOMO-TV in 1987 after working at television station WJLA-TV in Washington, D.C., replacing retiring news anchor Jim Harriott. Before that, he had worked at WISN-TV in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. In 1993, he became the first reporter to interview former president Bill Clinton following the inauguration ceremony.
KOMO anchors Dan Lewis, Kathi Goertzen and weather forecaster Steve Pool had the third longest-running tenure out of any anchor team in the United States, having anchored KOMO News together from 1987 through 2008. As of 2012, Lewis continues to serve as co-anchor for the weekday editions of KOMO 4 News at 6:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. with Mary Nam. After multiple surgeries for aggressive recurring meningiomas, Lewis's longtime news anchor partner Goertzen died on August 13, 2012.
On October 1, 2007, KOMO celebrated Dan Lewis' 20 year tenure. His first newscast with KOMO which aired on September 21, 1987, among scores of other highlights were part of a five-minute long tribute KOMO aired to celebrate his career. His 27 year tenure is the fourth-longest in Seattle.
On May 21, 2014, Lewis retired from the anchor desk, but he will return from time to time for special projects.
Dan has three children: Dan Jr., Kristian, and Tim. Tim is the only child to go into broadcasting school and he was formerly weekend sports anchor for KIMA 29 - KEPR 19 in Yakima/Tri-Cities from 2004-2006. Tim was formerly also weekend sports anchor for KREM 2 in Spokane from September 2006-December 2008, then sports director from January 2009-May 2012, which Dan's co-worker Eric Johnson held from 1987 to 1989. As of July 2012, Tim is the weekend sports anchor/weekday reporter for KOMO-TV, making the Lewises the second father/son duo on the same TV station, after rival station KIRO-TV former chief meteorologists Harry and Andy Wappler.
- Lewis, Dan (October 22, 2005). "Dan Lewis looks back on season with White Sox as former batboy". The Seattle Times.
- "Kathi Goertzen dies after long battle with brain tumors". KOMO News. August 13, 2012.
- "Dan Lewis announces plans to step away from KOMO anchor desk". KOMO News. April 16, 2014.
- "The news doesn't fall far from the TV". Community.seattletimes.nwsource.com. 2005-05-07. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "Sports Anchor Tim Lewis Leaving Spokane to Join His Dad at Seattle's KOMO". Mediabistro.com. 2012-04-19. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- "Winds of change for weather guy Andy Wappler". Seattle Times. 2008-02-29. Retrieved 2012-10-20.