Dan M. Frangopol
|Dan Mircea Frangopol|
|Institutions||Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Alma mater||University of Liège, Belgium|
|Doctoral advisor||Charles E. Massonnet|
Dan Mircea Frangopol is an American civil engineer and the first holder of the Fazlur R. Khan Endowed Chair of Structural Engineering and Architecture at Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. He is a Distinguished Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers  and an Honorary Member of the Romanian Academy of Technical Sciences. He has received two Honorary Doctorates and several awards, including the Nathan M. Newmark Medal, the T.Y. Lin Medal, the J. James R. Croes Medal, the Moisseiff Award, and the IASSAR Senior Research prize, to name a few. He is the founding president of the International Association for Bridge Maintenance and Safety (IABMAS) and of the International Association for Life-Cycle Civil Engineering (IALCCE). He has left an indelible legacy of work, having authored or co-authored more than 250 books, book chapters and refereed journal articles, and more than 500 papers in conference proceedings. He is the founding Editor-in-Chief of Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, a leading peer-reviewed journal. He is a pioneer in the field of Life-Cycle Civil Engineering.
His doctoral thesis entitled "Probabilistic Study of Structural Safety" was supervised by Charles E. Massonnet and J. Ferry-Borges.
After receiving his diploma, from 1969 to 1974 Frangopol held a position as Assistant Professor at the Institute of Civil Engineering in Bucharest. In 1974 he moved to Belgium, where he was a Research Structural Engineer (structural reliability, analysis and design of inelastic structures, structural optimization) at the Department of Mechanics of Materials and Structural Engineering, University of Liège. In 1977 he went back to Romania to become an Associate Professor at the Institute of Civil Engineering in Bucharest. From 1979 to 1983 he was a Project Engineer at A. Lipski Consulting Engineers in Brussels, Belgium. In 1983 he joined the faculty of the University of Colorado at Boulder as Associate Professor in the Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, in 1988 he became Full Professor, and in 2006 an Emeritus Professor. In 2006 he moved to Lehigh University as Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering and the first holder of the Fazlur R. Khan Endowed Chair of Structural Engineering and Architecture. Since January 2008 he is a Visiting Chair Professor of the National Taiwan University of Science and Technology in Taipei (Taiwan) and since September 2009 he is an Honorary Professor at Tongji University in Shanghai (China).
Honors and Awards
- Honorary Professor, Southeast University, Nanjing, China, 2011- 
- Honorary Professor, Tianjin University, Tianjin, China, 2011- 
- Distinguished Member (formerly called Honorary Member) of American Society of Civil Engineers, 2010 
- Honorary Professor, Tongji University, Shanghai, China, 2009- 
- ISHMII Fellowship Award, International Society for Structural Health Monitoring of Intelligent Infrastructure, 2009 
- Doctor Honoris Causa (Honorary Doctorate), University of Liège, Belgium, 2008 
- IALCCE Senior Award, International Association for Life-Cycle Civil Engineering, 2008
- RAE Distinguished Visiting Fellowship Award, The Royal Academy of Engineering, for Research at the University of Surrey, 2008
- Munro Prize, Elsevier - Engineering Structures, for the best paper of the year published in 2006 in Engineering Structures, 2007
- IABSE OPAC Award (Outstanding Paper Award), for the best paper among all papers published in 2006 in all issues of Structural Engineering International, the Journal of the International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering (IABSE), 2007 
- Ernest E. Howard Award, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2007 
- T. Y. Lin Medal, T.Y. Lin International and International Association for Bridge Maintenance and Safety, 2006
- Honorary Member, Portuguese Association for Bridge Maintenance and Safety, 2006- 
- IFIP Award, International Federation for Information Processing, Working Group on Reliability and Optimization of Structural Systems, 2006
- Nathan M. Newmark Medal, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2005 
- State-of-the-Art of Civil Engineering Award, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2005 
- Kajima Research Award, Kajima Corporation, 2004
- Moisseiff Award, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2003 
- JSPS Fellowship Award for Research in Japan, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, 2003
- Doctor Honoris Causa (Honorary Doctorate), Technical University of Civil Engineering of Bucharest, Romania, 2001
- IASSAR Senior Research Prize in the area of System Reliability and Optimization, International Association for Structural Safety and Reliability, 2001 
- J. James R. Croes Medal, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2001 
- Distinguished Service Appreciation as Chair of the Technical Division Executive Committee of the Structural Engineering Institute, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2001
- Honorary Member, Romanian Academy of Technical Sciences, Elected 2000 
- State-of-the-Art of Civil Engineering Award, American Society of Civil Engineers, 1998 
- Award of Appreciation, Federal Highway Administration, 1998
- Distinguished Probabilistic Methods Educator Award, Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) International, 1996 (First Winner of this Award)
- http://www.asce.org/PressRelease.aspx?id=2147488379 . Retrieved August 3, 2010.
- Romanian: http://www.astr.ro/index.php?page=aboutmember&id=140 . English translation: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http://www.astr.ro/index.php%3Fpage%3Daboutmember%26id%3D140&sl=ro&tl=en . Retrieved August 4, 2010.
- http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/journal.asp?issn=1573-2479&linktype=5 . Retrieved August 3, 2010.
- Frangopol, D.M.; Lin, K.Y. and Estes, A.C. (1997). "Life-cycle cost design of deteriorating structures". Journal of Structural Engineering-ASCE 123 (10): 1390–1401. doi:10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1997)123:10(1390).
- http://www.ctbuh.org/NewsMedia/PR_091124_DanFrangopol/tabid/1296/language/en-US/Default.aspx . Retrieved August 3, 2010.
- http://www.seu.edu.cn/s/132/t/121/a/42373/info.jspy . Retrieved July 19, 2011.
- http://www.tju.edu.cn/english/News/Focus/201106/t20110621_106487.htm . Retrieved June 21, 2011.
- http://www3.lehigh.edu/News/V2news_story.asp?iNewsID=3126&strBack=/insidelehigh/default.asp . Retrieved on August 5, 2010.
- French: http://www.ulg.ac.be/cms/c_131589/docteurs-honoris-causa-2008-m-dan-frangopol?hlText=frangopol&hlMode=any. Retrieved on August 5, 2010.
- English: http://www3.lehigh.edu/News/RCEASnews_story.asp?iNewsID=2788 . Retrieved on August 5, 2010.
- http://www.iabse.ethz.ch/association/awards/opac/biondini.php . Retrieved on August 5, 2010.
- http://www.asce.org/Content.aspx?id=17425 . Retrieved on August 5, 2010.
- http://www.ascp.pt/membros%20honorarios.html . Retrieved on July 7, 2011. In Portuguese.
- http://www.asce.org/Content.aspx?id=17458 . Retrieved on August 5, 2010.
- http://www.asce.org/Content.aspx?id=17412. Retrieved on August 5, 2010.
- http://www.asce.org/Content.aspx?id=17457 . Retrieved on August 5, 2010.
- http://www.civil.columbia.edu/iassar/AWARDS.htm . Retrieved on August 5, 2010.
- http://www.asce.org/Content.aspx?id=17441 . Retrieved on August 5, 2010.
- Home Page
- International Association for Bridge Maintenance and Safety (IABMAS)
- International Association for Life-Cycle Civil Engineering (IALCCE)
- Structure and Infrastructure Engineering - International Journal (Taylor and Francis)
- Structure and Infrastructure Engineering - Book Series (Taylor and Francis)