Dan Namingha (born in 1950, Keams Canyon, Arizona) is a Native American painter and sculptor. He is Dextra Quotskuyva's son, and a great-great-grandson of Nampeyo. He is a member of the Hopi-Tewa tribe. He currently lives in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Dan Namingha has been showing professionally as an artist for 40 years. His heritage inspires his work, which explores connections between physical and the spirit world and includes of Hopi symbolism.
Drawing and painting was a natural part of Hopi childhood. It gave him a way to express his strong feelings about the culture and environment leading to a path of creative freedom. Dan feels that change and evolution are a continuum; socially, politically, spiritually and that the future of our planet and membership of the human race must be monitored to insure survival in the spirit of cultural and technology diversity. He says that only then can we merge the positive and negative polarization and balance so necessary to communal spirit of the universe.
Dan Namingha's artworks are in the collections of the Fogg Art Museum of Harvard University, the Smithsonian Institution, the Sundance Institute, the Wheelwright Museum, the New Mexico Museum of Art, the Heard Museum, and numerous foreign museums, including the British Royal Collection in London.
His son Arlo Namingha is also a well-known sculptor, and his youngest son Michael Namingha works in digital art. All three artists exhibit at the Nanimngha's Santa Fe gallery, Niman Fine Art.
- University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas
- Institute of American Indian Arts, Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
- The Art of Dan Namingha by Thomas Hoving, Abrams Publishing, New York
- "Dan Namingha". New Mexico Museum of Art. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- DAN AND ARLO NAMINGHA ─ A FASCINATION WITH DUALITIES, Museum of Northern Arizona, 2007
- Niman Gallery Santa Fe - Artist's online portfolio and biography
- Ann Korologos Gallery - Paintings by Dan Namingha, biography, press, and video.
|This article about a painter from the United States born in the 1950s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an American sculptor is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|